2017 World Championship - Day 8 & 9 (Round of 16)

Talking about FEMALE handball in the World
meteo
Handball Fan-atic

Re: 2017 World Championship - Day 8 & 9 (Round of 16)

Postby meteo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:57 pm

mikh wrote:Sorry, I don't enjoy this talk about refs, but I also can't agree with your conclusions @meteo.

Romania got on average 3 suspensions per match (3+4+3+2+4). Yesterday they got 10! Highest in the competition so far!
Can you honestly say they were the most brutal team in the competition, by far, yesterday evening?
And again, if that's the line of the refs, fine. But let it be for both teams. It's not about the "german refs" or "kiribati refs", it's about the refs from last night which took the majority of bad decisions against one team, added to the context of bad refereeing throughout the competition.

And of course players are the main actors in the game, coaches as well... but we cannot pretend refs are not a factor in a result. Especially in handball, in which refereeing is so subjective and can lean the balance on one side or another. Sports is about being better than your opponent and improving yourself; sometimes in handball it seems you have to better two additional guys, or try to guess what pleases them, in the best case.

Well there is nothing to discuss in total because we disagree. Most of the punishments that Romania got yesterday were okay and it didn't even got a big impact on the outcome of the match because they compensated well with the additional player in attack. And yes, most of the given suspensions were quite okay. And looking at Czech Republic they were not as equal in their way of defense, so there is no need in my opinion that they should receive 10 suspensions too. And if we talk about negative calls than Cech could complain about the line of the refs regarding "defending inside the goal area" for instance. Romanias biggest problem was no good performance of their goalkeepers and being to depending on Neagu. When she got tired they lost their advantage.

Greetings from Germany

"The best is yet to come": Barack Obama (06.11.12) quotes Holly Lam-Moores (30.07.12)

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

meteo wrote:Well there is nothing to discuss in total because we disagree.

Yes, we do. But this doesn't mean there's nothing to discuss. I am bringing some numbers and examples to support them. I'll review the match and also point to you the things that bugged me. Will be easier to discuss on clear examples.

meteo wrote:Most of the punishments that Romania got yesterday were okay and it didn't even got a big impact on the outcome of the match because they compensated well with the additional player in attack.

"most" and "okay" are often not enough in a tight game. Especially from the guys who should be neutral.
We completely agree about the minimised impact on Romania's attack. But that's one dimension of the game. The goals were conceded by a defence that played 1/3 of the match one man down. You have to agree that made things easier for the Czech attack.

meteo wrote:And looking at Czech Republic they were not as equal in their way of defense, so there is no need in my opinion that they should receive 10 suspensions too.

Let's agree to disagree. They shouldn't have gotten 10, but had the refs judged with the same measure, they should've gotten more than 3 easily. Again, review the situation at the end that I evoked in an earlier post. That allowed the Czechs to play a 7v5 in the decisive attack.
Romania-Spain was a much tougher affair and it didn't end with so many suspensions.

meteo wrote:And if we talk about negative calls than Cech could complain about the line of the refs regarding "defending inside the goal area" for instance.

Do you have any clear example? I think there's not too much Czechs can complain about yesterday though :)
I can also argue about Udristoiu, who twice receives passes in 1-1 positions and is stopped just before shooting and the play is turned at 9m, despite no travelling made by the player who makes the pass.
Or about the fact that Jerabkova blatantly throws herself on the floor when Romania gets the last penalty, just to trick the refs it's an offensive foul. That's a gross simulation that again was deserving of a 2 mins.

meteo wrote:Romanias biggest problem was no good performance of their goalkeepers and being to depending on Neagu. When she got tired they lost their advantage.

We agree on this too. Coupled with the poor TO decision at the end of the match and the bad ref calls :)

HB9
Handball Fan-atic

Postby HB9 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

http://www.tv2.no/a/9550155

"I do not know how Russia has had it, but we have had a pleasant day. Traveling for one hour and twenty minutes is nothing today. We have had a nice bus ride, got a room right away and went straight down and got great food. Now we have rest for three hours and worked with video, so I do not think it's possible much better, "said Thorir Hergeirsson with a smile on Tuesday afternoon.

!

eduardsson

Postby eduardsson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Boy, boy, boy.
The Slavics are out, and in what manner the bigger Slavic brothers left the competition... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( (not really). Welcome Brother Korean

Scheersberg

Postby Scheersberg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:16 pm

So Sweden - France and Norway - Holland in the SF in Hamburg, only Sweden maybe a small surpise ion the SF, the other 3 teams as expected although by an alternative path.
I expect Sweden France to be close, but France will win, Holland will if they do not considerably improve (not only Abbingh scoring and also Wester so far under par) be beaten by Norway on a way comparable with the way they did beat Russia. Norway will win the final against France.

Two Scandinavian teams and 2 from Western-Europa, same as EC 2016 actually, only one difference Sweden instead of Denmark.
Last edited by Scheersberg on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Postby Mr. 007 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 am

Like stealing candy from little kids... :)

34-17 FT

That is not nice ofc...shame on Norway...but it was a quarter final after all :)

Everyone (ehrmm...me that is) expected a close match with extra time, and perhaps a penalty shoot out in the end. It was the "morale final" between the two best teams so far in WCH. The girls even prepared for it, but I guess they didn't like the idea with so much drama, so why not rather finish it off asap instead :)

Norway played their best defense so far, it was rock solid, like back in the good old days, and the Russians were taken by surprise. It was 8-2, before the Russian bear woke up, but still ended 15-8 at HT.

Lunde was a monster in goal, scaring the living daylights of the Russians, with a saving percentage of 55% :)
Hmmm....actually she looks kind of like a monster too in that picture...no wonder then :)

The girls were so aggressive, poor Russians didn't have a clue to break through :)

Brattset was a giant in defending, although she is a newcomer. Russians were just doomed...and knew it :)

Nora Mørk top scorer with 9 goals. The duracell rabbit is simply unstoppable :)

Our captain followed close with 8 goals, and opened up the Russians defense with many assists too. Our best player along with Lunde :)

Last in the famous trio, Veronica Kristiansen, scoring 5, and rocked hard in defense too :)

Løke always dangerous, simply lethal if u give her as much as a centimeter to move on...any opponents nightmare :)

Wings lethal too, although Skogrand was best in defense putting Vedekhina totally out of the match :)

Amazing match, and a perfect display of handball. Looks good before the semifinal against the Netherlands, and I don't think they liked what they saw tonight...but pure hell coming for them :)

Congratz girls :)

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Postby Mr. 007 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Trefilov in his last TimeOut: "Anyone who wants to play out there??"
Some raised their hands, and they got to play. No further directions or orders were given.... :)

Return to “Female Handball”