Alexander The Great

Anything But Handball Here
BlueSwan
Extra Member

Alexander The Great

Postby BlueSwan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:44 pm

A question for the Macedonians. What kind of status does the ancient Macedonian king Alexander The Great have in Macedonia today. Is he regarded as a hero, as a villain or is he forgotten?

Great electronic pop music: http://blue-swan.mymusic.dk

Goran

Postby Goran » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Absolutely.... HERO!!!!!!

We are all proud to have all Macedonian kings as part of our history!!!
Phillip II and Alexander III Macedonian are the greatest! :D

He can not be forgotten, nor considered a villain. No way!

Why?

BlueSwan
Extra Member

Postby BlueSwan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Goran wrote:Absolutely.... HERO!!!!!!

Why?

Well, I just saw the film "Alexander" yesterday and I wondered what his status today is in his home country. No particular reason, just interested. Thanks for your answer.

I guess the danish vikings are also put on a rather high piedestal back here, even though realistically, they were probably blood-thirsty savages.
Great electronic pop music: http://blue-swan.mymusic.dk

euskadi commander
Kometal Fan

Postby euskadi commander » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:49 pm

The World considers him as the greatest warrior ever, so the status can not be anything less than that.

It means a lot to Macedonia to have such a strong character in the history. That’s part of the identity and the culture of our nation.

martinmk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby martinmk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:54 pm

BlueSwan wrote:
Goran wrote:Absolutely.... HERO!!!!!!

Why?

Well, I just saw the film "Alexander" yesterday and I wondered what his status today is in his home country. No particular reason, just interested. Thanks for your answer.

I guess the danish vikings are also put on a rather high piedestal back here, even though realistically, they were probably blood-thirsty savages.

Maybe the vikings were blood-thirsty savages, but Alexander was considered as a liberator in the countries where he fought. So for me he is defenetly a great hero, he had had a visionery idea of globalising the world, and he tought that everybody could live happily without borders. Alexander was with no doubt very intelligent person with great diplomatic and war skills. I admire him a lot and always when I'll remind myself on his life and on everything that he had done for my country I am shuddering and I feel very proud to be Macedonian.

I don't know how you look on him but he is defenetly the greatest historic person.

Mejc
Extra Member

Postby Mejc » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:19 am

euskadi commander wrote:The World considers him as the greatest warrior ever, so the status can not be anything less than that.

It means a lot to Macedonia to have such a strong character in the history. That’s part of the identity and the culture of our nation.

Can one of you Macedonians please explain to me why the Greeks are absolutely convinced he is Greek (besides the fact that a part of modern day Greece was Macedonia)?

You would not believe the amount of times I have had arguments with them saying he is Macedonian not Greek.

Kristijan
Extra Member

Postby Kristijan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:09 pm

Because the greeks are fools and have their brains washed by their government and "historians".
Duda nós te amamos!

martinmk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby martinmk » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Mejc wrote:
euskadi commander wrote:The World considers him as the greatest warrior ever, so the status can not be anything less than that.

Can one of you Macedonians please explain to me why the greeks are absolutely convinced he is greek (besides the fact that a part of modern day greece was Macedonia)?

You would not believe the amount of times I have had arguments with them saying he is Macedonian not greek.

Ok I'll try to respond you. This question is very sensitive.

In the past ancient Macedonians had war against ancient greeks and we had defeted them. Then the two nations were allys, so Alexander was leader to them also. He lead the greek and the Macedonian army in the same time and he conquered many teritories together with them. I don't know from where they claim that Alexander was greek, they (the greeks) called us barbarians in the past and didn't have anything in common with our nation untill our king Philip conqoured them.

They say that he is greek cause he was writing on greek language. This is true he comunicated with other armyies with greek language cause that language was something similar like English today. But he spoke another ancient Macedonian language. The greeks sometimes forget that some of their ancient historians in their books have written that he is Macedonian not greek.

Alexander the Great should be a person that would make our nations (Macedonian and greek) close, but the greeks are scaried that they would lose all their history if they admit that Alexander was Macedonian. The thing about his nationality is clear to everyone but not to the greeks.

martinmk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby martinmk » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:17 pm

I just watched an emission about the Macedonians, Alexander and the ancient Macedonian empire. There were shown some facts that clearly show that the ancient Macedonian language was totaly different from the ancient greek. One scientist decoded some ancient Macedonian text, and there are many similar words that are used today in our language. According to him if Alexander was alive today we could unerstood him with a little effort.

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:47 am

martinmk wrote:I just watched an emission about the Macedonians, Alexander and the ancient Macedonian empire. There were shown some facts that clearly show that the ancient Macedonian language was totaly different from the ancient greek. One scientist decoded some ancient Macedonian text, and there are many similar words that are used today in our language. According to him if Alexander was alive today we could unerstood him with a little effort.

Yes it's completely true, and you can see this on the official web site of this project.
http://rosetta-stone.etf.ukim.edu.mk/
This definitly brings the truth to the surface, he was what we are, Macedonian.
Last edited by Baltazar on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:17 pm

It's good that Greece is weak in handball, because we would have a real battle here, I suppose.

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:24 pm

karel wrote:It's good that greece is weak in handball, because we would have a real battle here, I suppose.

:D
They have no chance with us in a one on one fight with arguments.
They only have more money then we do, more "big bad" friends so they can turn lie into true, and are more brain washed (considering the relationship with us) then we are, and we all know that brain washed people speak it loud.
"Brain wash" is a hard phrase, so i hesitated using it, but believe me i had to.

aletem
Regular

Postby aletem » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:40 am

karel wrote:It's good that greece is weak in handball, because we would have a real battle here, I suppose.

After all the tensions that were happening in the early 90's between Macedonia and Greece (To be precise Greece put an embargo), there was one friendly game in handball (males) that I believe happened when Greece cooled with their agressive politics. The game was played in Veles, and we won with a huge goal-difference. I think it was 37-19.
If they play an official game right now, I think the whole Kale hall will be full, and the result will be known already :D

aletem
Regular

Postby aletem » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:44 am

Mejc wrote:

Can one of you Macedonians please explain to me why the greeks are absolutely convinced he is greek (besides the fact that a part of modern day greece was Macedonia)?

You would not believe the amount of times I have had arguments with them saying he is Macedonian not greek.

I think you got pretty good explanations now! If Macedonia was big and strong country like centuries ago, Greece wouldn't try doing that at all. I believe that all the fuzz is now about the Bucharest treaty. This treaty has a validity of 100 years! I don't have to say more. :D

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:32 am

Is this by chance that I can't write "Greece" in capital font on the beginning? ;)

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:31 pm

karel wrote:Is this by chance that I can't write "greece" in capital font on the beginning? ;)

It's not true, see: "Greеce"
The point is "Do u really want to write it that way???" :P

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:46 pm

Greece, Greece, Greece, Greece, Greece, Greece.
You might don't believe me, but when I'm writing it it is in capital - when it shows up on the forum I see small letter :shock:
Even, if I don't like the country, I have respect for it. And I write it as I should. With capitals.

Ivar

Re: Alexander The Great

Postby Ivar » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Actually, Alexander the Great was ethnically Greek, like pretty much all of Ancient Macedonia. Today's Macedonia contains mostly Slavs. The Slavs did not arrive in this area until many centuries after Alexander died. So for a modern Macedon to say that he is Alexander's descendant (I have heard this very often) is simply ridiculous, unless he is an ethnic Greek too.

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:51 am

Ivar wrote:Actually, Alexander the Great was ethnically Greek, like pretty much all of Ancient Macedonia. Today's Macedonia contains mostly Slavs. The Slavs did not arrive in this area until many centuries after Alexander died. So for a modern Macedon to say that he is Alexander's descendant (I have heard this very often) is simply ridiculous, unless he is an ethnic Greek too.

Well obviously you have heard only the Greek (the British) side of the story. However, truth have many faces, particularly for an event 2300 years ago. Slavic people mixed with many local people inhabiting the Balkan back then but this discussion is pointless to be made here. Cheers!

xiaonvren
Rookie

Postby xiaonvren » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:44 am

t's good that Greece is weak in handball,

Return to “Off Topic”