Waterpolo

Anything But Handball Here
karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 pm

mikh wrote:Volleyball, basketball, football, handball (even though I can't understand what's wrong with all your club teams) + water polo.

Volleybal - I agree, but basketball, football, handball? Serbia used to be good at these sports. Now it is rather so-so.

As a Romanian you can compare that your handball (female) is much better than Serbian. I consider your football team also better nowadays.

Joana
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Joana » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:10 pm

mikh wrote:Volleyball, basketball, football, handball (even though I can't understand what's wrong with all your club teams) + water polo.

And the new-wave tennis players from Serbia are amazing. Don't be so dramatic. Considering the tough period your country has been through, I'd say you're doing alright. The question is: is this a level you've achieved by trying to progress in very difficult conditions or is it some kind of inercy and things are going for the worse? This is for you to know, and if so, to tell us.

Volleyball, yes. Although, the men's team is not as strong as before, but the girls are great. The other sports are going down all the time, football in particular. The EC qualies campaign was an embarrassment. The thing is that most sports federations are in a state of total chaos, the handball one is a well known example. Those that aren't, like volleyball, where systematic hard work is being done, have the results.

I agree about tennis players. They are a phenomenon, it's a totally freak thing that is never going to be repeated. Like Belgium having both Henin and Clijsters on top at the same time. It's crazy and totally unexpected.

But what I'd really like to see is success in athletics, gymnastics, skiing... I'd trade all the water polo results for a Catalina Ponor any day.

Anyway, back to water polo, the situation with Macedonian NT is interesting. Is this some kind of a long-term project? Are there maybe plans to have success in club water polo too?
Women's World Volleyball Championship
20.10.2018, Yokohama (JPN)
1. Serbia 2. Italy 3. China
The history is made. Thank you, girls!

Goran

Postby Goran » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:15 am

Joana wrote:Anyway, back to water polo, the situation with Macedonian NT is interesting. Is this some kind of a long-term project? Are there maybe plans to have success in club water polo too?

Well, since they are building new pools, i would guess its a long term project.

The situation as it is right now is pathetic. Only 3 swimming pools in total, 2 in Skopje, one in Struga (as part of the high school there). Only one out of the two in Skopje work since there are trouble with the heating.

Now, with 9 more pools, I guess we will have a proper league :) and not like the one we have with a tournament system.

The interest for the sport is big among the kids which is a surprise to me since the sport was very small. This success points the lights to the sport and I am very happy for that. I think we have the talents to be competitive after few years... Now, coaches might be problem,but I guess there will be some coaches imported as long there is money in the sport.

I would love to see Mladost, Vardar or Lokomotiva back on track as well as the new teams building tradition. Good luck to the young water polo players in MKD :) ... the "older" generation is lost :(

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:18 am

Joana wrote:

But what I'd really like to see is success in athletics, gymnastics, skiing... I'd trade all the water polo results for a Catalina Ponor any day.

She is also a phenomenon. Our whole gymnastics is a phenomenon. It's the crown jewel of Romanian sport. No sport has ever been so succesful and with a such a long term supremacy. I think it is the best organized sport here and this really shows. But things will be blury in th Olympics due to some recent internal scandals and to the way the judges will absolutely help China and the U.S.

Joana wrote:Anyway, back to water polo, the situation with Macedonian NT is interesting. Is this some kind of a long-term project? Are there maybe plans to have success in club water polo too?

Back to it!
Can someone explain the sudden development of water polo in Macedonia? Things are really unknown here in Romania.
And I am also curious about the way things are working in Serbia, Hungary, Croatia and Montenegro so that you have these astonishing successes.

Goran

Postby Goran » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 am

Additional info:

There will be new pools in Skopje x 2, Ohrid, Tetovo, Prilep, Gostivar, Gevgelija, Stip and Strumica. The value of the project in 30 million Euros.

The construction will start ant the end of 2008 and the end is projected in 2010.

I will explain the sudden success to you mikh, we handed a few passports :):(

And some Macedonian players did train with entusiasm for years, with a situation where the best players were payed only the transfer costs and the rest were paid 0 euros. Many of the players quit playing at young ages...

I am sad it took nationalized players to bring attention to the sport.. but lets hope it will be a long term project to biuld proper conditions in our waterpolo.

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 am

Goran wrote:P.S. The Ministry of youth and sport of Macedonia decided to build 9 swimming pools to support the sport after the success of qualifying on the EC with foreign players :roll:

It's aganecy, not ministry :P
And as far as i know they decided building these swimming pools much earlier ;)

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:28 am

Goran wrote:And some Macedonian players did train with entusiasm for years, with a situation where the best players were payed only the transfer costs and the rest were paid 0 euros. Many of the players quit playing at young ages...

... i had a friend who played in the second best team in "one level smaller then senior" leage, and he didn't trained at all! He was only going there for the matches, and he was a starter.

Fiki
Regular

Postby Fiki » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Congrats for the Macedonian Waterpolo Team. This is really a historical moment for this sport in our country. I hope that sooner it will be consisted of only Macedonian players and not Serbs and Croats. Until yesterday we were cheering for the Serbs or the Croats on any waterpolo competition, but now it is a different story...we have our own to cheer.

Bravo Momci!

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:01 pm

European Championship, Malaga, Spain, 4-13 July 2008

Group A: Serbia, Romania, Italy, Russia, Germany, Macedonia
Group B: Hungary, Croatia, Spain, Grecia, Montenegro, Slovakia

Group B seems to be a lot tougher than the first one with the Olympic 1st and 3rd, the WCh 1st and 3rd and the very tough Montenegro team.

Bo$ko
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Bo$ko » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:33 pm

This draw was excellent :lol: :!:

Never mind I think that Montenegro can be at least 3rd in group. :D

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:22 pm

Men's Water Polo - Olympic Qualification Tournament, Oradea, Romania

Day 1 - 2nd of March

Group A

Brasil - Grecia 6-15
Kazahstan - Russia 4-19
Romania - Slovakia 7-6 (2-2, 2-2, 1-1, 2-1)

In the last quarter our goalie, Bertini Nenciu saved 2 Slovakian penalties. Romania didn't play so well and Slovakia fought really hard, thus the tight result.

Tomorrow:
KAZ - BRA
ROU - RUS
SVK - GRE

Group B

Mexico - Macedonia 9-18 (2-4, 1-2, 2-9 :shock: , 4-3)
Iran - Italy 2-20
Germany - Canada 11-6

Tomorrow:
MKD - ITA
CAN - IRI
MEX - GER

Source: http://www.frpolo.ro/FINA-Oradea2008/default.asp

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Day 2 - 3rd of March

Group A

Kazahstan - Brasil 6-9
Romania - Russia 11-8
Slovakia - Grecia 9-11

Tomorrow:
GRE(4) - KAZ(0)
BRA(2) - ROU(4)
RUS(2) - SVK(2)

Group B

Macedonia - Italy 5-14
Canada - Iran 15-5
Mexico - Germany 1-29

Tomorrow:
ITA(4) - CAN(2)
GER(4) - MKD(2)
IRI(0) - MEX(0)

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Day 3 - 4th of March

Group A

Grecia - Kazahstan 18-8
Brasil - Romania 4-13
Russia - Slovakia 12-3

Tomorrow:
SVK(2) - KAZ(0)
RUS(4) - BRA(2)
ROU(6) - GRE(6)

Group B

Italy - Canada 7-7
Germany - Macedonia 9-4
Iran - Mexico 8-8

Tomorrow:
MKD(2) - CAN(3)
MEX(1) - ITA(5)
GER(6) - IRI(1)
Last edited by mikh on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:26 pm

Day 4 - 5th of March

Group A

Slovakia - Kazahstan 18-5
Russia - Brasil 11-3
Romania - Grecia 7-8 :cry:

Tomorrow:
BRA(2) - SVK(4)
GRE(8) - RUS(6)
ROU(6) - KAZ(0)

Group B

Macedonia - Canada 7-12
Mexico - Italy 4-25
Germany - Iran 18-2

Tomorrow:
ITA(7) - GER(8)
IRI(1) - MKD(2)
MEX(1) - CAN(5)

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:05 am

Day 5 - 6th of March

Group A

Brasil - Slovakia 6-12
Grecia - Russia 8-6
Romania - Kazahstan 19-2

Standings:
1. Grecia 10p
2. Romania 8p
3. Russia 6p
4. Slovakia 4p
5. Brazil 2p
6. Kazahstan 0p

Group B

Italy - Germany 5-5
Iran - Macedonia 6-18
Mexico - Canada 6-12

Standings:
1. Germany 9p
2. Italy 8p
3. Canada 7p
4. Macedonia 4p
5. Iran 1p (-56)
6. Mexico 1p (-70)

Semifinalists: Grecia and Germany => directly to Beijing 2008

Quarter Finals:
RUS - ITA 17,30 RO time
ROU - CAN 19,00 RO time

Tournament for places 7-12:
KAZ - IRI 14,30 RO time
BRA - MEX 16,00 RO time

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Day 6 - 7th of March

Quarterfinals:

Russia - Italy 10-11
Romania - Canada 8-9

Goodbye olympic dream for this very beautiful side of ours. Congrats to the Canadians who managed an excellent tournament, playing with a 100% amateur team. The draw agains Italy and the win on Romania's homecourt means they've progressed very very much.

So, the last Olympic spots being occupied, the 4 winners of the tournament are: Germany, Grecia, Italy and Canada.

7-12 Quarterfinals:

Kazahstan - Iran 4-6
Brasil - Mexico 8-7
Last edited by mikh on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Day 7 - 8th of March

11/12 Place Playoff

Kazahstan - Mexico 9-11

7-10 Place Semifinals:

Slovakia - Iran 18-4
Macedonia - Brasil 10-8

Semifinals:

Grecia - Italy 8-9
Germany - Canada 8-6

Sad 400th post for me :cry:
Last edited by mikh on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Day 8 - 9th of March

9/10 Place Playoff
Iran - Brasil 1-10

7/8 Place Playoff
Slovakia - Macedonia 9-7

5/6 Place Playoff
Russia - Romania 9-10

3/4 Place Final
Grecia - Canada 13-4

Final
Italy - Germany 8-8 (1-1, 0-1 aet)

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 am

Coach Vlad Hagiu was fired from the NT of Romania. It's the end of 4 beautiful years for the Romanian waterpolo.
I wonder who will coach the team in the EC in Malaga, this summer. It seems that players made Hagiu stay in the first place and that they are really attached to him.

Another news: The cities of Debrecen and Oradea might co-host the Waterpolo EC in 2010. The announcement will be made in Eindhoven, on the 23rd and the only opposition for their bid is that of the city of Zagreb.

timus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby timus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 am

mikh wrote:Coach Vlad Hagiu was fired from the NT of Romania. It's the end of 4 beautiful years for the Romanian waterpolo.
I wonder who will coach the team in the EC in Malaga, this summer. It seems that players made Hagiu stay in the first place and that they are really attached to him.

Sorry for your team, they really developed a lot in the last years. I saw some metches against Hungary, and you were better and better. I was sure that you'll do the Olympics... Sorry
:oops:

timus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby timus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:23 am

About Hungary, they really want the third gold, but admitted that the biggest favourite is Serbia. Kemény is watching the guys, he wants them to compete for the places, to find the very best team. IMHO some key player have secure position: Szécsi, Kiss, Kásás, Benedek. Tamás Varga made an impressive comeback, and we have another 3 Vargas: young brothers Dániel and Dénes, and Tamás's brother Zsolt. At least 2 Vargas will travel to Peking IMO. :D

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:45 am

Well, in a country where you have no more than 3 valid swimming pools, what our team has done is really amazing! I am also surprised by the cohesion inside the team. No team sport in Romania is succesfull without getting into the eye of the newspapers and instantaneously getting all the additional can-can. Well, water polo seems to be the one. And the fact the lads don't want the coach to leave is also very unique in a country where everyone wants another man's job.

The newspaper that wrote the article said that Doric Costras from team Mataro (Italy) is in pole position to take Hagiu's place, and that there also are some foreign coaches on the list.

My regret is that the team lost yet another time against Canada at exactly the same score line that prevented us from a win and a less tiring Melbourne campaign last year.

Indeed we are playing better and better against Hungary (they managed to draw a half :shock: in Kecskemet) but we are still far from the top nations in this sport and now this miss can give us a significant blow. I hope the guys can pull it together and make a decent (place 3-6) at the EC in Malaga later this year.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:14 pm

European Championship, Malaga

Romania - Macedonia 6:10 (1:3, 3:3, 2:3, 0:1)

I think our team is sinking. They're not over the Olympics miss and now they're doing even worse. Without coach Hagiu, the team seems to lack perspective :(

Iceberg_
Extra Member

Postby Iceberg_ » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Oooh ... big suprise for me :?

What happened with Romania :?:

First Oradea disaster play and now on EC ...

moby
Regular

Postby moby » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 pm

MEN - PRELIMINARY ROUND - GROUP B - 2
MACEDONIA 10 - 6 ROMANIA
Partial results: [3-1] [3-3] [3-2] [1-0]

Referees: MOLINER Angel (ESP) - KORYZNA Radoslaw (POL)
TWPC Delegates: PERISIC Dejan - DEMEY Jean-Claude

MACEDONIA
---------------
1 PERCINIC Dalibor
2 MILANOVIC Igor
3 YUKSANOVIC Ivan
4 KRSTOVIC Miroslav
5 MILIC Nebojsa 6
6 POPOVSKI Sasko
7 MICIC Marko
8 BRKIC Edi 2
9 KRSTIC Dusan
10 BASIC Marko 2
11 PETROVIC Nenad
12 BENIC Danijel
13 VROSEVIC Milos

Head Coach: MECKIC Ljubisa

ROMANIA
-----------
1 NENCIU Berttini
2 RADU Cosmin
3 RIDZYK Zoltan
4 GHIBAN Alexandru
5 IOSEP Andrei 1
6 BUSILA Andrei
7 DUNCA Gheorghe 1
8 NEGREAN Tiberiu 2
9 ANDREI DINA Edward 1
10 GEORGESCU Ramiro 1
11 MATEI Alexandru
12 KADAR Kalman
13 DINU Robert

Head Coach RUSU Corneliu

MEN MKD – ROU 10-6
Coach Ljubisa Meckic (MKD): “It was the first match in the history of our young country at a European championship – and we even won it! What more do you want? Of course we are hoping to establish ourselves among the top, but matches against opponents such as Hungary, Serbia and Italy are still a great challenge for us. I may not expect too much from my team against them.”

Sasko Popovski (MKD): “It is quite a surprise that we managed a win in our first match at a European championship against Romania. Our goalkeeper deserves great praise, but we are a team and we played like a team.”

Coach Corneliu Rusu (ROU): “Generally I’m satisfied with our kind of game. We tried to surprise our opponents by counter attacks but failed to score. We had a lot of problems with Nebojsa Milic, who performed brilliantly and scored six for Macedonia’s ten goals.”

Cosmin Radu (ROU): “We definitely expected to do better, but at the end of the first quarter we were already down by two goals. And it is difficult if you have to try to make up during the entire match.”

Return to “Off Topic”