European Athletics 2010 Barcelona

Anything But Handball Here
TDK
Extra Member

European Athletics 2010 Barcelona

Postby TDK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Does Superman exist ?

I know Superwoman exist, I have just seen her on TV :)

Female discus-throw : Gold for 20 years old Sandra Perkovic - Croatia =D>

I think she could be a great pivot in handball or maybe in backcourt :lol:

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Re: European Athletics 2010 Barcelona

Postby mikh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 pm

And she broke Nicoleta Grasu's dream once again. 7th time she misses the gold at a major event :( And second time she loses it at the last moment: at the World Championships in Berlin, last year, she led the final until the 5th throw when young (born in 1988) Australian Dani Samuels threw the best attempt of her life and surprised everyone going on 1st place; then, at the last throw, Cuban Yarrelis Barrios clinched the silver and put Nicoleta from 1st all the way to 3rd in a matter of minutes.

However, she did set a record today, becoming the first woman athlete to have 4 European medals during her career. Anyway, our brave 39 yo sportswoman said she won't give up international competitions until she will have won a gold medal in a major international competition. So London 2012, here she comes! =D>

Didrik
Extra Member

Postby Didrik » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:27 am

Angela Morosanu qualified for semifinals from the 1st place. :D (400 m )
Her coach is American. :p

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:06 am

Nice to see such topic in here :D
Croatia has rather weak athletics but used to have one big star (Blanka Vlasić). Now it looks like a new star has been born in woman discus.
A very nice surprise for Poland in the same discipline: Joanna Wiśniewska took bronze. She is 38 yers old and had never won any medal in senior competition before. Nobody expected this medal in Poland.
We have one medal so far - I hope for more (especially in shot put M, discus M, 800 m, hammer throw W - with WR holder Włodarczyk, 110 H M; there are also other chances). It should be good competition for us.
Croatia should win one more medal in high jump W. How about Romania? Morosanu? Oprea? Any other chances?

Didrik
Extra Member

Postby Didrik » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm

OMG,i forgot the name of the winner of 10000 metres Women. ](*,)
I know she is African and she was a contestant for Turkey. :-k

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Didrik wrote:OMG,i forgot the name of the winner of 10000 metres Women. ](*,)
I know she is African and she was a contestant for Turkey. :-k

Abeylegesse. She is from Ethiopia. Without her Turkish athletics rather don't exist.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 pm

Marian Oprea - silver! He managed to jump correct twice his season best, during the final. Congratulations to Marian, one of our greatest athletes! =D>

Friday, we'll have 3 Romanians in the finals:
- Ancuţa Bobocel - 3000m steeplechase
- Angela Moroşanu - 400m hurdles
- Bianca Perie - hammer throw

Then, on Saturday, we'll have Adelina Gavrilă in the triple jump final.

Good luck to all of them!

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:41 pm

The Africa Athletics Championships are being held these days as well, in Nairobi, Kenya. The competition is on Eurosport 2 (at least in Romania), and as far as I could see the stadium is more full than the one in Barcelona. You can hear some vuvuzelas, as well :P

Didrik
Extra Member

Postby Didrik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:32 am

mikh wrote:The Africa Athletics Championships are being held these days as well, in Nairobi, Kenya. The competition is on Eurosport 2 (at least in Romania), and as far as I could see the stadium is more full than the one in Barcelona. You can hear some vuvuzelas, as well :P

also on TVR 2,Eurosport and TVR HD i think. :-k
On Tvr 2 only tonight and Eurosport all the day.(Right now is live). :D

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:40 am

Mikh, Didrik - how do you read "Angela" in your langueage? Like in German or like in English, cause I have doubts :?:

Didrik
Extra Member

Postby Didrik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 am

an-is not like in English ăn if you understand (eg:annoy,anticipate,appear etc.)
ge-is like ge in Germany
la-is la :))
in Romanian almost every word is read like how is written.
Mikh/Poltergeist help. ](*,)

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:33 am

Didrik wrote:an-is not like in English ăn if you understand (eg:annoy,anticipate,appear etc.)
ge-is like ge in Germany
la-is la :))
in Romanian almost every word is read like how is written.

Thank you, I was wondering about the "g" letter only.
Last edited by karel on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poltergeist
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Poltergeist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 am

it is the same as Angela in Italian, but the accent (stress) is on the 2nd syllable, not on 1st... we and the Italians have the most Latin words from the Roman language speaking countries! the rest are Dacian, Thracian, Iliric, borrowed words and some Slavics... it is a mixture with a Latin base of more than 30%, Dacian, Slavic, German, Hungarian, French, English after '90:

"ge" is like "JESSE" in English... we also have "gi" which is like "gee" in English.

"ghe" which is pronounced like "ge" from Angela Merkel

"ghi" the same, but that "i" is like "ee" in English

---------------

and we have some pronounced like in German

"Ţ" like "tz" in German
"Ş" like "sch"

the alphabet is A, Ă, Â, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, Î, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, Ş, T, Ţ, U, V, W, X, Y, Z and we say alfabet like it is spelled

-----------

just these 3 maybe you didn't hear them in other languages, but i can't reproduce them, watch the video it is original sound:

Î which is pronounced same like Â, but it is used at the start of the a word or at the end of the word
â is used just in the word, not the 1st or the last letter like Î
Ă you will find only in the word or at the end of the word, the word can't start with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZK9sCeagNc (here a Romanian girl is presenting the Romanian alphabet in English)

and for example, a name like Oprea or Stelea, the accent isn't like the English or the Spanish commentators are pronouncing these names.

it is O-PREA and STE-LEA, the accent (stress) on 1st syllable.
Last edited by Poltergeist on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am, edited 7 times in total.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:12 am

Thank you very much, Poltergeist. Now is everything clear for me. I supposed "Angela" should be read as you mentioned, but I like to be sure. Thanks once more :D

Poltergeist
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Poltergeist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:17 am

:D no problema! i would also like to learn a Slavic language... maybe when I will not be tired, I will ask your MSN to chat in Slovak! 8:)

i always liked Slovakia because it is like my Transylvania, castles and the Carphatians Tatra...

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am

Poltergeist wrote: i would also like to learn a Slavic language... maybe when I will not be tired, I will ask your MSN to chat in Slovak! 8:)

i always liked Slovakia because it is like my Transylvania, castles and the Carphatians Tatra...

But I'm Polish :lol: I understand many words in Slovak, but I wouldn't say I know this language.

Very good beginning of the day for Poland: Grzegorz Sudoł was 2nd in 50 km =D>
It is first medal for Poland in this discipline after great Korzeniowski has retired.

Poltergeist
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Poltergeist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 am

Sorry, Karel, I confused you with Wbk, now I saw that you are from Szczecin... :) Karel is also kinda a Czech name, not a Polish one! :D

About athletics, I stopped watching this sport after the disaster from Romania... we were top 3 in Europe about 6-7 years, usually 2nd on the Euroleague! Now we suck... Still, it seems our juniors are good and the older atletes woke up! Not the past results, but at least some medals. Not to say that the period with Ceausescu had medals after medals... we had about 30 years!

On the last Olympics at least we won a golden medal on athletics, by Constantina Diţă-Tomescu on marathon, even she was 38. :D

Do you know her? She is a legend here, Karel, like Gabi Szabo. Is she competing at the Euro or just at the World Champs? Because if she's, I might turn on my tv...

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am

Poltergeist wrote:Karel is also kinda a Czech name, not a Polish one! :D

About athletics, I stopped watching this sport after the disaster from Romania... we were top 3 in Europe about 6-7 years, usually 2nd on the Euroleague!

On the Olympics at least we won a golden medal on athletics, by Constantina Diţă-Tomescu on marathon, even she was 38. :D

Do you know her? She is a legend here, Karel, like Gabi Szabo. Is she competing at the Euro or just at the World Champs?

Yeah, Karel is Czech name. I use it only as a nickname. My real name is Konrad :)

You have won two medals so far - it is also something...

I'm not sure about Dita-Tomescu. I'm not too much into the marathon. I checked on the start list and there are two runners from Romania: Cirlan and Simon.

Poltergeist
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Poltergeist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 am

Oh, so Dita-Tomescu was training for the World Champs in the parks in Romania lately. She usually lives in United States, but likes training home. Lidia Simon will surely finish top 5, she won silver in Sydney and golden medal at the WC in Edmonton... In Beijing was 8th!

Edmonton was in 2001 and it was like yesterday... I was little kid! :roll:

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Libor CHARFREITAG (hammer throw) and his historical gold for Slovak athletics =D>

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 am

Well, as I see this topic is not as popular as I thought it would be. Too bad...

Good championships for Poland: we won 9 medals
2 gold - Lewandowski (800m M) and Małachowski (discus M)
2 silver - Majewski (shot put M) and Sudoł (50 km walk)
5 bronze - Kszczot (800 m M), Wiśniewska (discus W), Czerwiński (pole vault M), Włodarczyk (hammer throw W) and 4x100 relay W.

Especially I'm glad with Lewandowski's and Małachowski's titles and - the biggest surprise - Polish ladies relay. The girls took bronze and broke national record, which had lasted since 1985 =D>

Didrik
Extra Member

Postby Didrik » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:42 am

In The Topic Fifa World Cup 2010 are just 40 posts.So 20 posts here are good.
The good/happy news is that the people on this forum are really handball fans. :))

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 am

Poltergeist wrote:About athletics, I stopped watching this sport after the disaster from Romania... we were top 3 in Europe about 6-7 years, usually 2nd on the Euroleague! Now we suck... Still, it seems our juniors are good and the older atletes woke up! Not the past results, but at least some medals. Not to say that the period with Ceausescu had medals after medals... we had about 30 years!

On the last Olympics at least we won a golden medal on athletics, by Constantina Diţă-Tomescu on marathon, even she was 38. :D

Do you know her? She is a legend here, Karel, like Gabi Szabo. Is she competing at the Euro or just at the World Champs? Because if she's, I might turn on my tv...

I am so annoyed having seen this topic only now ](*,) , that being a fine European Championship.

Because it's such a long time since the ECh I only add that Diţă was actually giving an interview to Eurosport you should have watched at that time :). She spoke very strange English but seems to be a nice person. I am a distance runner myself and I love her front-running style and was incredibly happy when she won the Marathon title in Beijing. Oh, did she deserve it :) She is an extremely inspiring person, I started to like her when she ran that brave race in Edmonton in 2001, that was a pretty remarkable marathon. She didn't win that one but went back a few years later to become World Champion in half marathon with another gutsy performance. Actually, she looks to be more modest than Gabi Szabó ever looked, but it's difficult to judge if you don't know the language and need to stick to some TV coverages and news articles to build your opinion.

Return to “Off Topic”