2011 Icehockey world championships - Slovakia

Anything But Handball Here
karel
Handball Fan-atic

Re: 2011 Icehockey world championships - Slovakia

Postby karel » Sun May 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Wbk wrote:
karel wrote: Does it happen often that Norway beat Sweden in ice hockey?

This was the first Norwegian victory against Sweden after 61 years :lol: , and this statistic including U18 and U20 championships as well :)

I know. My question was rethorical :D

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Mon May 02, 2011 12:40 pm

The championship of continues.

Germany hurt all our country as well as Russia two days before...

...and our fans are confused. We certainly need to beat Russia, but that will be a huge fight for life.

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Wbk wrote:
karel wrote: Does it happen often that Norway beat Sweden in ice hockey?

This was the first Norwegian victory against Sweden after 61 years :lol: , and this statistic including U18 and U20 championships as well :)

Ye and we had to play with D-Roster to make it a reality.

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I do not care if our D team lose to Norway, what bothers me the ARE that no one mentions it in Norway. They could been little bit more objective, for example, OK boys we beat Sweden but we know that unusual many Swedes told no thanks this year.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 pm

It's bad.....................

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Hosts chances to be successfull dropped markedly. But we are still hoping for a smile...

Big derby Slovakia vs Czech Republic - tonight!!!

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 pm

We are back on track 8:)

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Czech flag was higher, deservedly higher. And our faith isn't only in own hands now.

No, we have no heart for this game, even at home. I am not proud... :cry:

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Sun May 08, 2011 2:02 am

Slovakia lose again this time against Finland. Many experts TV experts in Sweden believe that it will be difficult for Slovakia to come back as a great nation the next 10-15 years.

According to them this is a result of poor youth activities in Slovakia since independence. As expampel Sweden does not need old unmotivated players because we have new young and talented players every year. At least CZE has great youth activities.

It was called big 7 but now it has fallen to big 6 which is sad for hockey in general.

2008 – Finished in 13th place
2009 – Finished in 10th place
2010 – Finished in 12th place
2011 – Missed quarterfinal at home

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Sun May 08, 2011 2:12 am

Great atmospheres in Bratislava, but whats up with Kosice ? arena is totally empty every game.

Lower prices might help ?. Honestly no world cup feeling at all in Kosice. Poor organization

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon May 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Bad result for Slovakia at home. And they were so close to medal in Vancouver... Now they didn't even reach 1/4.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Mon May 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes. Our dream has ended before time. The farewell victory against Denmark (4:1) belongs to our captain Pavol Demitra, who said "goodbye" to the NT (along with another players).

Now is the time to forget. And then to built the new team. A super generation of Slovak hockey terminated its mission. So long and thank you, guys! For this (and many more) memories...

2002 WCh in Gotteborg - gold

2000 WCh in St.Petersburg - silver

2003 WCh in Helsinki - bronze

2010 OG Vancouver - 4th place

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Sweetest loss ever against Canada for now we will play against Germany instead of Russia 8:) :p :D .

Quarterfinals

Sweden:Germany (85/15)
CZE:USA (85/15)
Finland:Norway (95/05)
Canada:Russia (50/50)

As usual we will play semifinals 8:) ;) :p

Likely semifinals are Sweden:CZE and CAN/RUS against Finland.

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Thu May 12, 2011 12:19 am

Oops, Sweden did it again

Tre Kronor beats Germany 5-2, ready for semis 11th time in a row
11-05-11

BRATISLAVA – Sweden has missed the semi-final only onece (2000) since 1992 when the new playoff system was introduced. A comfortable 5-2 win in Bratislava secured that Sweden will be playing for the medals even in 2011. They will face the Czech Republic on Friday.

Sweden - Germany 5-2 (2-1, 2-1, 1-0)

Martin Thörnberg scored two goals, Patrik Berglund collected three points, and Viktor Fasth made 35 saves for Sweden.

"I think we were pretty nervous in the first period, but when we scored a couple of goals in the second period things started to go our way," said Fasth.

"I’m really happy. It was a tough game. We met this team before and we know that they play with much intensity. We couldn’t defend as well as we wanted. We had many giveaways, but offensively we played very well," added Team Sweden head coach Pär Mårts.

Germany just couldn’t get their starts right in the tournament. For the third time in four games, they found themselves in a one-goal hole after just one minute of play. Not only that, they had also helped the opponents to get the lead. Against the Finns, a German defenceman deflected Tuomo Ruutu’s pass into own net after 13 seconds. Against the Czechs, another defenceman accidentally delivered the puck into own net after 51 seconds.

In the quarter-final game against the Swedes, the puck was in the German net, off the pants of a German defenceman after 27 seconds. Martin Thörnberg took a slapshot from the top of the circles, Patrik Berglund drove to the net, and the puck found its way.

Just like in their games against the Czechs and the Finns, the Germans battled their way back into the game. Marcus Kink intercepted a Swedish pass in the German zone, sent it to Frank Mauer, who sent a pass across the entire neutral zone. The puck fell right into Alexander Barta’s skate, and he finished his breakaway with a wrist shot that beat Viktor Fasth high on the glove side at 2:01.

"We started off fast, and they scored on their first chance, but when we got the second goal we were able to sort out our game," said Carl Gunnarsson.

"They throw everything at the net and force the play. We knew they were going to come hard once they got the puck in the offensive zone," he added.

Both teams seemed nervous in the first period that was filled with turnovers and poor passes. With 4:14 remaining, just as Fasth had made a great save at the other end, Sweden got a 2-on-1 attack. Patrik Berglund caught Dennis Endras by surprise as his shot went through Endras’s five-goal. Fasth got an assist on the goal.

The Swedes got a great start for the second period when Robert Nilsson found his cousin Niklas Persson in the slot, driving towards the net. Persson was trying to go to his backhand but lost control of the puck. That fooled Endras, too, and the puck went in through his five-hole at 4:30.

With 11:50 remaining in the period, just a second after Kai Hospelt had stepped back onto the ice from the penalty box, Loui Eriksson grabbed David Rundblad’s rebound and beat Endras with a backhander to give Sweden a three-goal lead. It was Eriksson’s third goal in the tournament, and first since Sweden’s opening game against Norway.

A little glimmer of hope still lived in Germans’ hearts when Michael Wolf beat Fasth with 1:16 remaining in the second, right from the doorstep, off a feed from André Rankel.

Martin Thörnberg scored his second of the night off after he beat Constantin Braun to a rebound, and beat Endras with a wrister from a close range to make it 5-2. Patrik Berglund's assist was his third point of the game.

"Any time you come back and make it 4-2 but then they make it 5-2, it takes the wind out of your sails. It was tough. We played hard and we had a lot of chances. If we put more in, it could have been a different game," said Germany's John Tripp.

"They’re a well prepared and organized team. I’m happy the way my team played. They battled hard and created some good chances, but the Swedes capitalized well on their opportunities. It was a good tournament for us," said German head coach Uwe Krupp.

In the semi-finals, Sweden will meet the Czech Republic at 16:15 on Friday.

MED
Extra Member

Postby MED » Fri May 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Final Sweden vs Finland

I don't follow IceHockey that much but I watched parts from Sweden game vs Czech rep in semi final. It was brilliant game by the Swedes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMWx28Iai_8

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Fri May 13, 2011 11:26 pm

8:)

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Fri May 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Sweden : Finland 4 : 2 sounds normal to me.

Have to say i didint expect WC gold at this time we have the yungest team in the world cup.

But reality seems to be we dont need NHL stars 8:)

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 pm

What about Mikael Granlund?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQd1TMKY34

That's what 19 years old guy did in semifinal of his first WCh :!: :!: :!: And it was game winning goal and ticket for the Final for Suomi.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sat May 14, 2011 7:31 am

Congratulations Sweden and Finland. As I had said before Swedish defeat against Norway had absolutely no meaning for Sweden. Ice hockey is far to predictable :)

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sat May 14, 2011 7:34 am

Wbk wrote:What about Mikael Granlund?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQd1TMKY34

That's what 19 years old guy did in semifinal of his first WCh :!: :!: :!:

It was amazing. Wonderful goal. Pure ice hockey art =D> And look at the Russian defenders' faces - priceless :lol: I see bright future for this young guy.

Staffan
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Staffan » Sat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm

karel wrote:Congratulations Sweden and Finland. As I had said before Swedish defeat against Norway had absolutely no meaning for Sweden. Ice hockey is far to predictable :)

We did not lose against Norway, it was 4-4. Penalties in hockey is a lottery.

Looking back in history we use to be slow starters and get better as longer the torney goas.

1992 we playd 0-0 against Italy in the first match and later we won the WC 1992.

This year we have a lot of new young players, it was expected that it would take some time to play the team together.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Sat May 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Staffan wrote:We did not lose against Norway, it was 4-4. Penalties in hockey is a lottery.

Won't you consider it as lose, if you'll take only silver 4-5 after penalties in the final? ;) You lost to Norway and that's all :^o

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 am

Congratulations, Finland! Great final and big success :) I don't think many fans expected that after Sweden had scored for 1-0...

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Mon May 16, 2011 11:18 am

karel wrote:Congratulations, Finland! Great final and big success :) I don't think many fans expected that after Sweden had scored for 1-0...

Well deserved gold for the Lions, congratulations =D>

Take a look at the best photos from the crowd: http://www.sme.sk/c/5894759/majstrovstv ... unach.html ;)

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

I was in Bratislava last night (my plane took land there and had to wait several hours for the bus to Budapest). We heard it was 1-1 after 40 minutes and hardly believed 6-1 as final result. And afterwards we celebrated together with Finnish fans in the old city :-) (Actually they had no idea what on earth handball is but we told them the only important thing is tonight that both FTC and Finnland has won a tournament :-))
In conclusion, I declare that EHF must be destroyed

Return to “Off Topic”