Australian Open 2014

Anything But Handball Here

Who will be the Aussie Open champs this year?

Nadal & Cibulkova
33%
Nadal & Na LI
33%
Wawrinka & Cibulkova
No votes
Wawrinka & Na Li
33%

Total votes: 3

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Australian Open 2014

Postby Des57 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 am

Galpa wrote:We have the same problem with tennis regarding sponsorship.
We also have much better women players, there is always someone in top 100. Szávay reached no 13 before her back problems. When I asked a coach about this gender thing he answered: if you are a boy and want to become professional, you have to train abroad with most talented prospects, it costs a lot, families can not afford. But it's easier if you are a girl, you can train with boys at home, international level can be reached in Hungary too. Other reason: less girls are doing sports worldwide than boys, easier to break through, competition is not that huge.

I get your point.About Szavay.I'm very sorry for what happened to her.She was the most talented Hungarian tennis player I can remember,but there are alot of sad stories in sports and tennis is full of them.I was so sad when Mario Ancic had to retire.Same for Dinara Safina,even if she wasn't one of my favs.I think tennis has a problem.There are too many tournament,too many games and that wears out players.That's why we have champions like Henin,Clijsters,Hingis and many more that retire before they're 30.

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:57 am

Des57 wrote:
Galpa wrote:We have the same problem with tennis regarding sponsorship.
We also have much better women players, there is always someone in top 100. Szávay reached no 13 before her back problems. When I asked a coach about this gender thing he answered: if you are a boy and want to become professional, you have to train abroad with most talented prospects, it costs a lot, families can not afford. But it's easier if you are a girl, you can train with boys at home, international level can be reached in Hungary too. Other reason: less girls are doing sports worldwide than boys, easier to break through, competition is not that huge.

I get your point.About Szavay.I'm very sorry for what happened to her.She was the most talented Hungarian tennis player I can remember,but there are alot of sad stories in sports and tennis is full of them.I was so sad when Mario Ancic had to retire.Same for Dinara Safina,even if she wasn't one of my favs.I think tennis has a problem.There are too many tournament,too many games and that wears out players.That's why we have champions like Henin,Clijsters,Hingis and many more that retire before they're 30.

Couldn't agree more. Tennis is really spectacular and is even greater fun to watch than it was 5 or 10 years ago but I don't dare to imagine how draining it must be. I consider it some sort of miracle that Roger Federer was never seriously injured - as for Nole, I expect him to be at one point solely since he is so wiry for a tennis player.

On the other hand, several tennis players have a really bad body posture with lack of core strength as the main reason (I am a distance runner and most people I know with bad posture also within my peers could be with a bit more core strength). I remember Safina to be so - and from today's elite the same applies to Petra Kvitova.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Galpa wrote:It seems you stole our regular WTA tournament as it will be moved to Bucharest. [-X :)

I'm sorry we stole your tournament,Galpa. :D It was made official today.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3 ... n-for-2014

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Des57 wrote:
Galpa wrote:It seems you stole our regular WTA tournament as it will be moved to Bucharest. [-X :)

Yeah, I read it. And you beat Hungary yesterday in FED cup... That's too much for this week! :? [-X
MKB Veszprém -- Anita Görbicz -- Győri Audi ETO KC -- Hungary

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Galpa wrote:
Des57 wrote:

And you beat Hungary yesterday in FED cup... That's too much for this week! :? [-X

Not cool,Galpa! :D You made us play on the poorest court,but I was expecting that. :lol: Hopefully Halep will recover and win her game,so that we go to the playoffs.She did it!Well done,girls!Well done!Image

Return to “Off Topic”