Australian Open 2014

Anything But Handball Here

Who will be the Aussie Open champs this year?

Nadal & Cibulkova
33%
Nadal & Na LI
33%
Wawrinka & Cibulkova
No votes
Wawrinka & Na Li
33%

Total votes: 3

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Australian Open 2014

Postby Des57 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Don't know if there are some tennis fans on the foum,but I said I could give it a try :)
Another episode of the bigest rivalry in tennis,Federer vs Nadal in the semis. :D
Women semis
Teen sensation Eugenie Bouchard vs Na Li
Agnieszka Radwanska,one of the most special players on the tour vs Dominika Cibulkova

Men semis
Federer-Nadal
Berdych-Wawrinka

So what do you think?Who will be the winner?Who do you cheer for? :)

I will go with Nadal and Na Li for the winners,even if I will pray for a swiss final with Federer the champ. [-o<
Last edited by Des57 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Australian Open 2014

Postby karel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 am

I'm not a big fan of tennis, but I follow all the matches by the best Polish players like Radwańska and Janowicz.

Radwańska have had a very good tournament and qualified to the AO semis for the first time. Her game against squeking monster Azarenka was really huge. Radwańska is one of the most intelligent players, but sometimes she has lot of problems to play two great matches in the row. And this situatiuon happened again today, when she lost to Dominika Cibulkova from Slovakia. She used to beat her in almost every game, but lost the most important one.

I think Na Li will be the winner this year.
Last edited by karel on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 am

Agnieszka Radwanska is a very unique and interesting player.I can't say I'm a fan,but I like to watch her games since she's something different.She's not a serving and power hitting beast, like Serena,Sharapova,Lisicki or Azarenka,but uses very well the force of her oponent.She's also very spectacular with her crouching shots :)
I think that both her and Halep,that lost before her to Cibulkova,missed a huge chance.How many times Williams,Sharapova and Azarenka are out before the semis of a Grand Slam?For Aga there will probably more chances,but for Halep...

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:22 am

Des57 wrote:I think that both her and Halep,that lost before her to Cibulkova,missed a huge chance.How many times Williams,Sharapova and Azarenka are out before the semis of a Grand Slam?For Aga there will probably more chances,but for Halep...

Exactly.
It was the same last year in Wimbledon, when Radwańska was a favorite in the semifinal against Lisicka and didn't use another big chance for a triumph.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 am

One more left, here comes the final countdown... [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Pomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:41 am

Wbk wrote:

Pomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Congratulations. It is a biggest success for your player (the biggest in her whole career, isn't it?).
"Pome"? What does it mean?

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 am

Wbk wrote:One more left, here comes the final countdown... [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Yes,big congrats to Dominika and slovak fans! =D> She was an outsider against Maria,Halep and Aga,but managed to win all of them.For a 1,60 player,she's done some pretty impressive things in her career.So once again,big congrats! =D>

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:49 am

karel wrote:
Wbk wrote:

Pomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Congratulations. It is a biggest success for your player (the biggest in her whole career, isn't it?).
"Pome"? What does it mean?

Not only in Cibulkova's career. It's one of the biggest achievements in Slovak tennis history (I mean in the independence era) along with girls victory in Fed Cup (2002) and men reaching the final of Davis Cup (2005). A Slovak player has never played grandslam final before.

"Pome!" is a vernacular form of "Poďme!", what means "Come on!" It's what Cibulkova is shouting after winning some points ;)
Last edited by Wbk on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:50 am

Wbk wrote:
"Pome!" is a vernacular form of "Poďme!", what means "Come on!" ;)

That's how I supposed. :)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Wawrinka beats Berdych and will play in his first Grand Slam final. =D>

Half of the job is done.Now Federer must beat Rafa in order to have the first ever Swiss Grand Slam final. [-o<

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

Errani/Vinci defend their doubles title by beating Makarova/Vesnina 64 36 75 =D>

Good news for the Romanian fans. :D Tecau and Sania Mirza are in the mixed doubles final,where they will meet the Wimbledon champs Nestor /Mladenovic.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Nadal beat Federer 7-6(4) 6-3 6-3 and will play his 19th Grand Slam final.If he wins against Wawrinka,he will tie Pete Sampras 14 GS titles,will be the 3rd man that won all GS at least twice(Rod Laver and Roy Emerson are the other two),but the only one in the Open era.

Things don't look too good for Cibulkova and Wawrinka :D

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:45 am

I see the topic hasn't received a lot of interest,but since i've opened it,I will update it until the end of the competition,and after that, I won't bother you with tennis again.That's until Roland Garros,of course :)

Let's get the final started! :D

Interview with the two finalists.
http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/video/inde ... MRELYfoJam

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 am

Na Li is the new Australian Open champion after a 7-6(3) 6-0 win over Dominika Cibulkova. =D>

ImageImage
Li's shirt says: "Your heart has no limit""

Cograts to Dominika for her great tournament!
I think you'll like this two photos,Wbk! :D

Na Li's winning speech :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNIvsce-tc
Last edited by Des57 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Lukasz Kubot of Poland and Robert Lindsted of Sweden are the new Australian Open men doubles champs.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Iron Stan

Not the final I was hoping for.Nadal with a back injury couldn't play his best tennis,was limited to a 155-165 fist serve speed.I would say Wawrinka is a deserved winner,beating both the number one seed and number two on his way to the title.He could have end it in 3 sets,but made some stupid mistakes.It's the first Grand Slam won by someone outside top 4(Federer,Nadal,Djokovic,Murray)since Del Potro's win at the 2009 US Open.

"Last year was crazy match, I lost it & was crying a lot after the match. This year I still don't know if I'm dreaming." :)

https://twitter.com/AustralianOpen/stat ... 4887557120

Stan's tatoo needs an update :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.Win"

"The Journey" - Stanislas Wawrinka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTKXJGJnsOQ#t=15

In the mixed double event Nestor and Mladenovic got the title after a 6-3 6-2 win over Tecau and Mirza.

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Great topic Des57! :) Unfortunately I missed it due to rare visit of this part of the site. Though I'm a big tennis fan and play regularly.

Hungarians are lame but still quite popular.
It seems you stole our regular WTA tournament as it will be moved to Bucharest. [-X :)

Anyway I'm planning to go to FED cup in February, held in Budapest. We are in the same group, so I can check Halep! :D

About AO:

Congrats to Wawrinka. He has a fantastic technique but always had some mental issues. It was an interesting final, Stan played brilliantly until Nadal's injury then he fought against himself. First set was amazing.
MKB Veszprém -- Anita Görbicz -- Győri Audi ETO KC -- Hungary

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 am

Great success for Kubot. Especially beacause he is not too young anymore and I doubt he can achieve something more in singles, like he did last year (1/4 in Wimbledon). A very nice day for him and fantastic trophy in the late period of his career.
Wawrinka :-" =D>

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Galpa wrote:Great topic Des57! :) Unfortunately I missed it due to rare visit of this part of the site. Though I'm a big tennis fan and play regularly.

Hungarians are lame but still quite popular.
It seems you stole our regular WTA tournament as it will be moved to Bucharest. [-X :)

Anyway I'm planning to go to FED cup in February, held in Budapest. We are in the same group, so I can check Halep! :D

You should blame the ones that sold the license,not us. :D You still have the womens Final Four and Formula 1. :) I think it's better to keep the tournament in the region,than to move it don't know where.Bucharest is for many years the host of an ATP 250 event.It's organized in the same week with Barcelona 500 event.Even if the level of Romanian male players is not that competitive the tournament atracts alot of fans in the uper stages.Since the main sponsor is Societe Generale we have many French players.Gilles Simon is the fans favourite :)
Now that Halep is a top 10 player and we had 6-7 other players in top 100,the interes for female tennis is big.I think the WTA tournament will be a succes.
You should go to see the Fed Cup.Romania is coming with the best team we have Halep,Cirstea,Niculescu and Begu. :D

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Des57 wrote:Now that Halep is a top 10 player and we had 6-7 other players in top 100,the interes for female tennis is big.

How about male tennis? How long will we wait for the next Nastase? Are there any talented juniors for example?
I know it may tak long. We were waiting many years for another good player after Wojciech Fibak. Now we have 3 players in top 100 (Janowicz, Przysiężny and Kubot).
In femlae tennis we have Radwańska sisters, but I think Katarzyna Piter should be also in top 100 soon (she lost to Halep in the 1st round of AO).

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 pm

karel wrote:
Des57 wrote:Now that Halep is a top 10 player and we had 6-7 other players in top 100,the interes for female tennis is big.

How about male tennis? How long will we wait for the next Nastase? Are there any talented juniors for example?

If we're lucky 20-30 years :) If we're not maybe not during my lifetime. :) It's very hard to have a player like Nastase.Tennis is a very expensive sport and Romania remains one of the poorest countries in EU.If only the rich kids can play tennis,that limits the selection area.In the time of Nastase, Romania was a comunist country and in a way that helped the poor kids to have acces to sports.From what I know we had no junior from Romania at the Australian Open because the plane ticket is very expensive.I heard Hanescu saying that in order to have a player at the pros level you have to invest in a kid somewhere near 100,000 dollars.How many families can afford that?Look at Serbia.That's a great example.Djokovic,Ivanovic,Jankovic all come from wealthy families that afford sending them to tennis academies.In these countries like Serbia,Romania even Russia the federations aren't that powerfull to help the kids with what they need,so the expenses go to the parents.If someone makes it,it's not through the help of the federation,but through personal efforts.I see we have 2 boys http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/rankin ... =B&Region= in top 100 juniors,but I don't know them well to say what they can or can't do.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Des57 wrote: It's very hard to have a player like Nastase.Tennis is a very expensive sport and Romania remains one of the poorest countries in EU.If only the rich kids can play tennis,that limits the selection area.In the time of Nastase, Romania was a comunist country and in a way that helped the poor kids to have acces to sports.

Of course. It is obvious for me. You don't need to convince me. :) It is an expensive sport and not every country can afford to have many good players. But you have some really good girls and it means, that it is possible for you to be present in the tennis world. So why not men ? :)
In Poland, some years ago (in the 90's and at the very beginning of the XXI century) male tennis didn't almost exist and only some female players like Magdalena Grzybowska or Marta Domachowska made us think that there is such sport in Poland. Fortunately it changed. We still are not a big power in tennis (we will probably never be), but I can say we are noticable.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:30 pm

karel wrote:
Des57 wrote: I, that it is possible for you to be present in the tennis world. So why not men ? :)

Don't know why,but we usually have much better results in women sports. :D
Look at tennis,gymnastics,judo,fencing,handball,rowing,swiming and many more.Maybe our men are not that ambitious. :) But I guess every country has it's ups and downs.Look at Sweden that was one of the biggest tennis powers ,with huge players,but now after Soderling ,they have nothing. :) That can also be said about USA men tennis,French girls and so on..

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Galpa wrote:It seems you stole our regular WTA tournament as it will be moved to Bucharest. [-X :)

Don't even know if that's true or not.There were alot of infos before Christmas in the press about the new tournament,but after that nothing.On the official WTA website if you look at tournaments in July,you'll see Hungarian Grand Prix.http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Des57 wrote:
karel wrote:
Des57 wrote: I, that it is possible for you to be present in the tennis world. So why not men ? :)

Don't know why,but we usually have much better results in women sports. :D
Look at tennis,gymnastics,judo,fencing,handball,rowing,swiming and many more.Maybe our men are not that ambitious. :) But I guess every country has it's ups and downs.Look at Sweden that was one of the biggest tennis powers ,with huge players,but now after Soderling ,they have nothing. :) That can also be said about USA men tennis,French girls and so on..

We have the same problem with tennis regarding sponsorship.
We also have much better women players, there is always someone in top 100. Szávay reached no 13 before her back problems. When I asked a coach about this gender thing he answered: if you are a boy and want to become professional, you have to train abroad with most talented prospects, it costs a lot, families can not afford. But it's easier if you are a girl, you can train with boys at home, international level can be reached in Hungary too. Other reason: less girls are doing sports worldwide than boys, easier to break through, competition is not that huge.

On Hungarian ranking there are about 250 female players registered and more than 1000 male.
Des57 wrote:
Galpa wrote:It seems you stole our regular WTA tournament as it will be moved to Bucharest. [-X :)

Don't even know if that's true or not.There were alot of infos before Christmas in the press about the new tournament,but after that nothing.On the official WTA website if you look at tournaments in July,you'll see Hungarian Grand Prix.http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments

Perhaps it's not confirmed yet. I also heard it as a possibility, in December.
MKB Veszprém -- Anita Görbicz -- Győri Audi ETO KC -- Hungary

Return to “Off Topic”