Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Anything But Handball Here
karel
Handball Fan-atic

Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Postby karel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 am

We are beginning the biggest wineter sports festival soon. I remember we discussed a lot 4 years ago, when the OG took place in Vancouver. So I decided to open this topic.

What are your expectations? Worries? What do you think about medal chances of the athletes from your countries?

As for Poland...
Vancouver 2010 was the best OG form my country in the whole history. Can we repeat this in Sochi? It might be difficult, but we have smoe chances:
- cross-country (Justyna Kowalczyk of course; the other girls, eg. Jaśkowiec and men made some progress, but only Kowalczyk is capable of winning medals at the moment)
- ski jumping (individual and team)
- speed skating (especially teams, but there are also skaters, who can take a realy nice results individually)
- biathlon (only women, cause our guys are pathetic)
- freestyle skiing (some experts talk about Karolina Riemen, but I don't think a medal is possible)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:41 am

Romania has very poor results in winter sports.We got only one medal,a bronze one in bobsleight, in 68 Grenoble Olympics,so my expectations toward Romanian athletes are very small. :)
Even if we haven't been very succesfull,but because Eurosport is broadcasting alot of winter sports,I began to cheer for the Norwegian cross-country skiers like Therese Johaug and Petter Northug.I also liked Magdalena Neuner alot and I'm very sad she ended her career so early.
In the skiing events I cheer for the same Norway and Aksel Lund Svindal.
I can't wait for the hockey tournament to start.I'm a big fan of the Sweden team and fall in love long ago with their beautiful 3 crowns jerseys.Because I like Swedish players so much it was a normal step to transfer this to Detroit Red Wings NHL team,that was and still is full of Swedish talent. :D I hope they can get a medal.Don't know what to expect of the hockey tournament.I think Canada is the big favourite,Russia has alot of offence power with Ovechkin,Pavel Datsyuk,Evgeni Malkin,but they usually underperform.Finland,Czech Republic,USA can make big surprises.
I'm also looking forward to the ski jumping events.I was a big fan of Janne Ahonen,but now I'm more of a Thomas Morgenstern fan.He helped alot the development of this sport in Romania.I hope he gets well soon and praying he can compete in Sochi. [-o< Counting the days to the Olympics :)

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 am

Des57 wrote:Even if we haven't been very succesfull,but because Eurosport is broadcasting alot of winter sports,

This time Eurosport didn't buy the license for OG and won't broadcast it, which makes me sad. They have much better commentators than TVP (Poilsh public TV), which will be the official and only broadcaster in Poland.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am

karel wrote:
Des57 wrote:Even if we haven't been very succesfull,but because Eurosport is broadcasting alot of winter sports,

This time Eurosport didn't buy the license for OG and won't broadcast it, which makes me sad. They have much better commentators than TVP (Poilsh public TV), which will be the official and only broadcaster in Poland.

Didn't knew that.I was talking more of the winter sports season that Eurosport is broadcasting every year.Here the same.The winter Olympics will be broadcasted by the national television.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Interesting article today in the Romanian press.Weirather/Wenzel family that represented Liechtenstein in the winter Olympics has won a total of 6 medals,6 times more than Romania,and more than Slovakia or Ukraine and equal the number Bulgaria won :) Now Tina Weirather will represent the family and Liechtenstein and has big chances for a medal.

Hanni (left) and Andreas (right) Wenzel won 6 medals for Liechtenstein

Tina,daughter of Harti Weirather,former Austrian skier and Hanni Wenzel

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 am

Morgenstern could compete in Sochi. [-o<

Thomas Morgenstern spoke about his current state of health and the plans for the future for the first time since his serious fall at the ski flying World Cup in Bad Mitterndorf about two weeks ago.

"Under the circumstances I'm doing extremely well. It's impressive how fast by body recovered. I'm feeling better every day and I already started with easy training. It's all very positive", Morgenstern said at a press conference in Klagenfurt.

"Of course you think about a career end after two falls. But honestly, I don't want to end my career with a fall. I want to achieve my goal and go to the Olympics. I will decided then, what happens afterwards."From a medical point of view, it's possible that Thomas Morgenstern competes in Sochi.

"Thomas makes this decision. According to our medical examinations and checks there are no restrictions", told DR. Georg Lajtaj, who considers the 27-year-old a person with outstanding mental strength

http://www.fis-ski.com/ski-jumping/news ... sochi.html

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am

Four time Olympic champion,Wang Meng will miss the Sochi Olympics.

Wang was diagnosed with tibia and fibula fractures in her right ankle in the Shanghai Huashan Hospital and doctors said she has to receive an internal fixation surgery.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:26 pm

karel wrote:This time Eurosport didn't buy the license for OG and won't broadcast it, which makes me sad. They have much better commentators than TVP (Poilsh public TV), which will be the official and only broadcaster in Poland.

I don't know if they're the same, but the Polish handball commentators are damn fun. Ok, I don't get everything that they say, but their enthusiasm is absolutely contagious!

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:57 am

mikh wrote:
I don't know if they're the same, but the Polish handball commentators are damn fun. Ok, I don't get everything that they say, but their enthusiasm is absolutely contagious!

They are not the same and are annoying for me sometimes, but I get your point. :)

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 am

karel wrote:This time Eurosport didn't buy the license for OG and won't broadcast it, which makes me sad. They have much better commentators than TVP (Poilsh public TV), which will be the official and only broadcaster in Poland.

Jesus... I am in a shock :shock:

Being left with hard-to-understand Swiss, narrow-minded Austrian and rather smart alecky/arrogant German public TV commentators and especially experts is a disaster - or I'll have a go to find some Czech-speaking stream for the biathlon competition. I won't understand a single word but since I'll cheer for them most of the time, I won't mind. Almost the same applies to XC-skiing and Polish...

Time to get sentimental:

I am especially sorry for Eurosport's withdrawal since I believe no one has ever commented a cross-country ski race in Hungarian better than when the Eurosport commentator screamed his lungs out as Kowalczyk won the 30K 4 years ago. He still gives me shivers - not sure whether he considers it one of his performances ever but it's as epic as his version of the 5000m showdown between El-Guerrouj and Bekele in Athens.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Can't wait for the hockey tournament to start

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/ne ... y-rosters/

Jerseys for all 12 teams

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Lolo Jones,one of my favourite athletes and her road from hurdles to bobsled

Now, Jones is back chasing that elusive Olympic medal (she was a hurdling favorite in 2008, but tripped on the second-to-last jump and finished seventh). Only this time, she's not running under the hot sun. No, Jones' comeback hinges on the most different sport imaginable: bobsled.
Jones has been training and competing at international events with the U.S bobsled team for several months.
Jones’s first track coach, Phillip Ferguson, who has known her since she was 14 years old, said many of the skills the two-time Olympian has from training in track should carry over to bobsled.
“Her position on that bobsled is to get it moving, and in the starting position in track and field, you push out of those blocks at a 45-degree angle, which is almost the same angle you’re pushing the bobsled,” said Ferguson, a youth track coach in Des Moines, Iowa. “You really have to drive hard, get your knees up, and drive to push against that ground and push the sled down the track, and that’s similar to a lot of the training we do to get kids to feel that push action coming out of the blocks.”
http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014 ... am-support

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... s/5275655/

Silviu
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Silviu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Des57 wrote:Romania has very poor results in winter sports.We got only one medal,a bronze one in bobsleight, in 68 Grenoble Olympics,so my expectations toward Romanian athletes are very small. :)
At least we have her. :)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Silviu wrote:
Des57 wrote:Romania has very poor results in winter sports.We got only one medal,a bronze one in bobsleight, in 68 Grenoble Olympics,so my expectations toward Romanian athletes are very small. :)
At least we have her. :)

Don't know if that was the best option for her,now she has to train in Romania and we all know how that will end. :D

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:52 am

ImageAmerican Sage Kotsenburg takes the first gold medal of the Sochi Olympics in snowboard slopestyle
Norwegian Staale Sandbech takes silver and Canadian Mark McMorris bronze.

Results

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Image ♔Queen Marit does it again =D>

Marit Bjoergen won the women's 15-kilometer skiathlon at the Sochi Olympics, giving the Norwegian cross-country skier her fourth career gold medal.

Bjoergen pulled away from Sweden's Charlotte Kalla to win in 38 minutes, 33.6 seconds and defend her title from the 2010 Vancouver Games.

Heidi Weng of Norway took bronze.

Not so much interest in winter Olympics :(

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Des57 wrote:Marit Bjoergen won the women's 15-kilometer skiathlon at the Sochi Olympics, giving the Norwegian cross-country skier her fourth career gold medal.

Bjoergen pulled away from Sweden's Charlotte Kalla to win in 38 minutes, 33.6 seconds and defend her title from the 2010 Vancouver Games.

Justyna Kowalczyk only 6th. But I didn' expect much from this race, cause Kowalczyk is not in her top shape and additionaly has been having serious problems with foot. I hope she will took some medal, but I'm not sure of that...

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:19 pm

karel wrote:
Des57 wrote:Marit Bjoergen won the women's 15-kilometer skiathlon at the Sochi Olympics, giving the Norwegian cross-country skier her fourth career gold medal.

Justyna Kowalczyk only 6th. But I didn' expect much from this race, cause Kowalczyk is not in her top shape and additionaly has been having serious problems with foot. I hope she will took some medal, but I'm not sure of that...

I am rather concerned about cross country skiing in general. For me it degenerated to my standard ironing programme - if I happen to watch. Nothing against Bjørgen and most other Norwegian XC-skiers (I seriously dislike Northug in the men's field) but since you can be pretty sure at the start who (or at least which nationality) is going to win, from a neutral perspective it's not fun to watch, not really even if the scenery is as beatiful as it is in Sochi.

Not sure how attractive this sport will remain for let's say German, French, Italian sponsors.

As a major contrast, the men's sprint today was a blast. Ole Einar Bjørndalen rocking the house =D> =D> =D> Almost more than for him I was happy for Soukup to catch bronze. :) I suppose the pursuit will be an all-time classic, can hardly wait for that 8:)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:32 pm

ImageBad start of the day for Norway.Aksel Lund Svindal only 4th in men downhill.Austrian skier Matthias Mayer won the event and joined his father Helmut in the list of Winter Olympic medalists. Mayer was quickest on the downhill, just ahead of Italian Christof Innerhofer and Norwegian Kjetil Jansrud.

In the men's skiathlon Dario Cologna got the gold.What a beautiful race for Dario =D>
Sweden’s Marcus Hellner finished in second-place to win the silver and Martin Sunbdy of Norway took home the bronze.
What a disappointment for the Russian crowd with their athletes only 4th and 5th.

Maybe norway's luck will change for the women's biathlon 7,5 km sprint. :D
Can't wait for the men's ski jumping final today.Come on,Morgi!You can do it!

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Well, Anastasia Kuzmina was razor-sharp today, the Russians must really kick themselves now why on earth they let her go... This was nowhere near as exciting as the men's race yesterday but was damn fun to watch it on the Swiss TV :) Russian audience still had a nice afternoon with what would have been a USSR clean sweep with Vilyukhina and Semerenko finishing in the other medal positions.

Oh dear, so many women who could have won a medal if they shoot the perfect score. Can't even remember how often I shook my head in disbelief... I guess the pursuit will be as much fun as the men's tomorrow - which will certainly be downright sensational.

After the two sprint races, German biathlon looks to be in serious trouble.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:39 pm

zorasourit wrote:Well, Anastasia Kuzmina was razor-sharp today, the Russians must really kick themselves now why on earth they let her go

I was asking myself the same. :) How can you let her go?What a great athlete she has been for Slovakia,two gold medals,one silver and big chances for another medal in pursuit.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 pm

The Ladies 3000m in speed skating was quite a roller-coaster today and the atmosphere was great in the arena, both due to the crazy Dutch and the pumped up Russians fans.
In the end it was for Dutch Irene Wust, Czech Martina Sablikova and Russian Olga Graf took the medals.

The Polish skaters looked quite good today and it seems they're one of the possible surprises for the teams competition.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Des57 wrote:
zorasourit wrote:Well, Anastasia Kuzmina was razor-sharp today, the Russians must really kick themselves now why on earth they let her go

I was asking myself the same. :) How can you let her go?What a great athlete she has been for Slovakia,two gold medals,one silver and big chances for another medal in pursuit.

Well, they didn't let her go. They wanted to keep her, but they didn't allow to bring her son for training camps together with her. And then...she left. On her own.
I'm really proud she's Slovak now and I must say Kuzmina is big idol for me, both as sportsman and as human. There's no doubt, I'm nearly crying. And I think all we are capable to let out some tears of joy in here today (again). Many thanks, Nastya!

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Kamil Stoch (Poland) wins gold in the men's individual normal hill ski jump. =D> Peter Prevc of Slovenia takes the silver with Anders Bardal securing the bronze.Morgi only on 14th place :(
Congrats to all the Polish on the forum!

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Des57 wrote:Kamil Stoch (Poland) wins gold in the men's individual normal hill ski jump. =D> Peter Prevc of Slovenia takes the silver with Anders Bardal securing the bronze.Morgi only on 14th place :(
Congrats to all the Polish on the forum!

Crap, I forgot to watch it! Congrats to the Polish around here!
Prevc had a mighty season so far so I was expecting him on the podium, but Bardal is quite a big surprise for me. Congrats to the Norwegians here as well!

Return to “Off Topic”