Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Anything But Handball Here
zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Postby zorasourit » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Wbk wrote:
Des57 wrote:
zorasourit wrote:Well, Anastasia Kuzmina was razor-sharp today, the Russians must really kick themselves now why on earth they let her go

I was asking myself the same. :) How can you let her go?What a great athlete she has been for Slovakia,two gold medals,one silver and big chances for another medal in pursuit.

Well, they didn't let her go. They wanted to keep her, but they didn't allow to bring her son for training camps together with her. And then...she left. On her own.
I'm really proud she's Slovak now and I must say Kuzmina is big idol for me, both as sportsman and as human. There's no doubt, I'm nearly crying. And I think all we are capable to let out some tears of joy in here today (again). Many thanks, Nastya!

This is stupid and ridiculous. :evil: So Russian officials can only blame themselves. Is she actually popular / known in Slovakia? I understand the Czechs are experiencing a sort of biathlon boom these days, especially after the awesome WCh last year but I have not the faintest idea how that sport is doing in the Slovakian public.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:55 pm

zorasourit wrote:This is stupid and ridiculous. :evil: So Russian officials can only blame themselves. Is she actually popular / known in Slovakia? I understand the Czechs are experiencing a sort of biathlon boom these days, especially after the awesome WCh last year but I have not the faintest idea how that sport is doing in the Slovakian public.

She's our real national hero.

If you took a short look at the history, biathlon is probably the most succesfull winter sport in Slovakia in the independence era since 1993 (expcept ice hockey).

And our most succesfull Olympic sport at all in that period. (e.g. here) (or here) (+Kuzmina ofc.)

Anyway, Kuzmina still is something special and not only because of fact she brought Olympic medals.

Joana
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Joana » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:10 am

I still can't get over the fact that Eurosport isn't broadcasting this. I've never been fond of watching livestreams (which is one of the reasons why I'm so tragically out of touch with handball the last few years) but not watching Olympic biathlon is absolutely out of question, so I have to manage somehow.

Berger and Domracheva both flopped today, basically continuing what they've been doing all season long. I thought they were saving themselves and peaking right in time for Sochi, but it's not happening so far. I still hope Berger gets at least one gold.
I'm happy for Kuzmina and Semerenko, though.
Bjørndalen's gold was a moment for the history. I was over the moon for him. 16 years after the first Olympic victory! The oldest (winter) Olympic champion ever!
Women's World Volleyball Championship
20.10.2018, Yokohama (JPN)
1. Serbia 2. Italy 3. China
The history is made. Thank you, girls!

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

From what I understand from Eurosport Hungary's chief commentator, IOC wanted to contract with national broadcasters only, hence Eurosport was not even invited to make an offer - neither for this OG, nor the one in Rio.

Quite pathetic, but not exactly surprising. :(

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:31 pm

STOCH!!! :D
Amazing competition by him and generally very high level of rivalisation (nice performance by Maciej Kot too). It is the first olympic gold in ski jumping for Poland since 1972. Even great Adam Małysz wasn't able to win gold in Olympics.

Kuzmina and Bjoerndalen made great things as well. This gold medal won on Russian soil has to taste really good for Kuzmina. :-" Not bad place for Nowakowska-Ziemniak, who finished as 7th and was quite close to the best "3". Maybe tomorrrow?..
Today I keep my fingers cross for Bjoerndalen in pursuit. Another gold for him would be something amazing.

P.S. Justyna Kowalczyk has broken bone in her foot. She keeps on fighting, but I wouldn't expect nothing great by her. In this situaton every medal would be priceless for her.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:35 pm

zorasourit wrote:
I am rather concerned about cross country skiing in general. For me it degenerated to my standard ironing programme - if I happen to watch. Nothing against Bjørgen and most other Norwegian XC-skiers (I seriously dislike Northug in the men's field) but since you can be pretty sure at the start who (or at least which nationality) is going to win, from a neutral perspective it's not fun to watch, not really even if the scenery is as beatiful as it is in Sochi.

Not sure how attractive this sport will remain for let's say German, French, Italian sponsors.

I agree with you. I suppose cross-country has been lately rather boring for fans, who are not Norwegians, Swedes or Poles...

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Interesting images of the Sochi Olympics

Canadians riding in style

Other nice skeleton helmets

Our girl

Irene Wust and the speed of light

Electric eyes

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:42 pm

ImageMartin Fourcade is the new Olympic champion in men's pursuit.Chapeau! :D Czech Republic's Ondrej Moravec takes silver while France's Jean Guillaume Beatrix will join his compatriot on the podium to collect the bronze.Bjoerndalen 4th.So close :(

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm

karel wrote:P.S. Justyna Kowalczyk has broken bone in her foot. She keeps on fighting, but I wouldn't expect nothing great by her. In this situaton every medal would be priceless for her.

Oh dear... I remember the German commentators prior to the OG saying her so-called injury is just part of the mental game. I got severely pissed at that point... :evil: :evil: :evil:

If she could win a medal, that would of course be fantastic. Other than that I suppose chances are growing that we are going to see her competing until Pyongchang or am I mistaken? My best guess would have been that she retires if she wins one more Olympic title. (I understood she would have rested the next season and then decide whether she wishes to return)

P.S.
I find IOC's theatre about the black ribbon the Norwegian girls were wearing at the skiathlon, utterly, utterly, utterly, pathetic. It would be quite a story if Jacobsen would do well tomorrow.

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Des57 wrote:Martin Fourcade is the new Olympic champion in men's pursuit.Chapeau! :D Czech Republic's Ondrej Moravec takes silver while France's Jean Guillaume Beatrix will join his compatriot on the podium to collect the bronze.Bjoerndalen 4th.So close :(

Actually the race was rather boring :) Fourcade jr. was just too good. Poor Jean Philippe Le Guellec, I wonder how far he would have got without that fall.

Can't even tell how happy I was for Ondra Moravec winning a medal - and can't wait for the Czech mixed relay to show what they are capable of.

Norwegian men are having a nightmare and don't look to promising for the relay. Svendsen is a shadow of himself, the Bø brothers are no way convincing, until now they can thank Bjørndalen big time for saving them. I suppose Tora Berger will show something of her pressure shooting magic tomorrow, though.

Mixball
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Mixball » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Nice pic's @ Des57. :D

Terrible and loud screams and nobody answering the front door, caused the neighbors to call the police somewhere in Sweden yesterday. Ready to bust the door and help a woman in distress, police was met with a surprise. It turned out the woman in question had been watching Marcus Hellners silver medal struggle. :lol:
http://www.svt.se/sport/os-i-sotji/meda ... t-rycka-ut
I welcome your post with enthusiasm.Image

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Another funny Sochi story. :) Johnny Quinn may be the unluckiest fellow of the Olympics.He got stuck in the bathroom and had to break down the door.Then he got stuck in the elevator,but this time muscle power wasn't enough. :)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Tomorrow the men hockey tournament will starts.Full rosters here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... i/4766807/

Enjoy watching NHL players at the Sochi Olympics because it's likely they won't be at the 2018 Games in South Korea.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... n/5340525/

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Women's pursuit today was a pretty relaxed affair with Domracheva outshining everybody and claiming Belarus' first ever gold medal at winter OG :)

Tora Berger showed her class once again finishing strongly in second while Teja Gregorin caused a minor sensation with finishing 3rd, just ahead of Gabriela Soukalova (the latter rising all the way from 29th to 4th).

I guess the individual will be slightly more exciting but one never knows. An unexpected medallist is expected. :)

I think it's fair to say that the tracks are demanding, the men's sprint final in XC-skiing was almost tragicomical, with Jörnsson sort of finding a bronze as three people in front of him fell :shock: :shock:

Joana
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Joana » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Domracheva was simply too good today, but it was still a good effort from Berger to get into the silver medal position.
Soukalova almost made it, but it was a mountain too big to climb in the end. That meltdown on first shooting in sprint cost her the medal here as well.

A nice day for Slovenia with two unexpected bronze medals for Vesna Fabijan and Teja Gregorin!
Women's World Volleyball Championship
20.10.2018, Yokohama (JPN)
1. Serbia 2. Italy 3. China
The history is made. Thank you, girls!

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Natalie Geisenberger is the new luge Olympic Champion.The Germans dominate the luge competition,Felix Loch won the men event,just like the Netherlands does with speed skating.

Lee Sang-hwa continued her domination of women's 500 meter speed skating to win her second straight gold medal and set a couple of Olympic records in the process.It was nice to see someone else than Holland winning gold. :D

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:06 pm

Sochi Olympics in pictures :)

:lol:

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 am

Joana wrote:A nice day for Slovenia with two unexpected bronze medals for Vesna Fabijan and Teja Gregorin!

Slovenia is having a ball indeed :) Women's downhill today was absolutely unbelievable and quite epic with Maze and Gisin tied on top - and dear, did they both look totally, totally excited. :D Am really happy for Maze who seem to have found back to winning ways just at the right time.

Disaster for Germany and Austria while Edit Miklós from Hungary arrived in world class with finishing on 7th position. =D> =D> =D> For the sake of the underdogs, I hope she can become a top 10-top 15 regular at one point.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 am

zorasourit wrote:
Joana wrote:A nice day for Slovenia with two unexpected bronze medals for Vesna Fabijan and Teja Gregorin!

Slovenia is having a ball indeed :) Women's downhill today was absolutely unbelievable and quite epic with Maze and Gisin tied on top - and dear, did they both look totally, totally excited. :D Am really happy for Maze who seem to have found back to winning ways just at the right time.

Disaster for Germany and Austria while Edit Miklós from Hungary arrived in world class with finishing on 7th position. =D> =D> =D> For the sake of the underdogs, I hope she can become a top 10-top 15 regular at one point.

Yes,great women's downhill today.Different aproach of the race,but same results :) I was so happy for Edit's result,she's also Romanian,even if she decided to compete for Hungary. :)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Don't know about you guys,but for me skeleton has always been one of the most spectacular and interesting winter sports. :) Here you can see two beautiful commercials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSRDpizYFEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2SD0kRi-aM
with Noelle Pikus-Pace,one of my favourite winter athletes and one of the medal favourites,made to promote the Olympics.Come on,Noelle!

In the hockey tournament
Sweden-Czech Republic 4-2(Karlsson x2,Berglund P,Zetterberg H/Zidlicky M,Jagr J)

Switzerland-Latvia 1-0 (Moser S)

The Bolshoy Ice Dome is home to men’s hockey games in the Sochi Olympics.Every time there’s a game on the ice, the roof above it lights up with the national flags of the teams in the game, as well as the scoreboard. It can be viewed from around the Olympic Park, in the Olympic Village.But things get really interesting when one of those teams scores a goal, as Sweden did twice in the first period. The scoreboard changes, and an incredible animation flashes across the roof depicting an exploding puck and the word “GOAL.”

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/olymp ... bf57a.html

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:48 am

Des57 wrote:Yes,great women's downhill today.Different aproach of the race,but same results :) I was so happy for Edit's result,she's also Romanian,even if she decided to compete for Hungary. :)

Very much the same for me is Éva Tófalvi belonging to the Hungarian minority in Romania, but representing her native country and having had a great biathlon career. She's very little known in Hungary for strange reasons but I personally was delighted to see her carry the Romanian flag. :)

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

karel wrote:P.S. Justyna Kowalczyk has broken bone in her foot. She keeps on fighting, but I wouldn't expect nothing great by her. In this situaton every medal would be priceless for her.

Well, she did it! Congrats! =D>

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Since it wasn't the best place to do it over there, but however, being slightly connected, this is a follow up on this post.

Also happened in the OG in Sochi. The Norwegian women cross country skiers wore black armbands in solidarity with the grief of one of their colleagues, whose brother died prior to the games. The all-fair and all-mighty IOC immediately reacted and asked sportsmen and sportswomen to find "a better place" to express their grief. If that's not corporate cynicism, I don't know what it is.

Report here.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Martin Fourcade wins men's individual 20 km and is double Olympic champion.Erik Lesser of Germany was second and the Russian Evgeniy Garanichev takes bronze.Almost a perfect race for Fourcade. =D>

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:28 pm

In the hockey tournament

Russia-Slovenia 5-2(Alex Ovechkin,Evgeni Malkin,Ilya Kovalchuk,Valeri Nichushkin,Anton Belov/Ziga Jeglic x2)

Finland-Austria 8-4(Mikael Granlund x2,Sami Lepisto,Olli Maatta,Jarkko A. Immonen x2,Jussi Jokinen,Petri Kontiola/Michael Grabner x3,Thomas Hundertpfund)

USA-Slovakia 7-1(John Carlson,Ryan Kesler,Paul Stastny x2,David Backes,Phil Kessel,Dustin Brown/Tomas Tatar)

Canada-Norway 21:00 Sochi time

I think that the semifinal teams are already known at this stage:Canada,USA,Russia and Sweden.Any other team in the semis would be a big surprise

Return to “Off Topic”