Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Anything But Handball Here
karel
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Winter Olympic Games 2014 - Sochi

Postby karel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:35 pm

mikh wrote:
Well, she did it! Congrats! =D>

Yes. She did it. :D Fantastic success for her. She will start also in relay at saturday. It is not sure if she is going to participate in 30 km freestyle.

First time in history we have more than one gold medal in one Winter OG.

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:22 pm

karel wrote:
mikh wrote:
Well, she did it! Congrats! =D>

Yes. She did it. :D Fantastic success for her. She will start also in relay at saturday. It is not sure if she is going to participate in 30 km freestyle.

First time in history we have more than one gold medal in one Winter OG.

Brawoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a fighter she is =D> =D> =D> She was simply the toughest out there today.

It's awesome to see her going out on top (I suppose she is going to retire, isn't she?) with doing a lap of honour in Saturday's relay.

Not sure how much damage she could do on the 30K in freestyle, I assume that will be some epic showdown between Bjørgen, Kalla and Johaug once again.

Talking about XC relays - classy biathlete Kaisa Mäkäreinen is supposed to run in the Finnish squad. I am really curious and would love to see her walking away with any medal in any discipline.

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Des57 wrote:Martin Fourcade wins men's individual 20 km and is double Olympic champion.Erik Lesser of Germany was second and the Russian Evgeniy Garanichev takes bronze.Almost a perfect race for Fourcade. =D>

I was looking for some drama but didn't find any... :P Great job by Garanichev :)
Lesser saved the Germany from the ultimate disaster while Austria was very close to multiple medals.

Such a shame Kaukenas sort of collapsed at the final shooting but the individual is very much about holding nerves, too.

No idea, who'll win tomorrow, can maybe Soukalova make it three individual wins in a row? Extremely hard to tell since at least ten other women can finish on top without calling it a surprise

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Image Canada 3-1 Norway Image

(Weber S.,Benn Ja.,Doughty D./Dahlstrom R.)
Not the best of games for Canada,but they are known for thier slow starts in final tournaments. :)

In the luge competition,Germany got all the gold medals by winning today the team relay.Russia was second and Latvia third.Germany sped to victory on Thursday and proves their complete dominance of the sport, having also triumphed in the men's and women's singles and doubles.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:21 pm

zorasourit wrote: (I suppose she is going to retire, isn't she?)

Not sure how much damage she could do on the 30K in freestyle, I assume that will be some epic showdown between Bjørgen, Kalla and Johaug once again.

I'm not sure she is going to retire after this season. She is 31, so in Pyongchang she will be only 35... ;) BTW - when she retires, we will probably look like Czech Rep. after Neumanova retiring. There are not mnay talented young Polish cross-country skiers on the horizon...
Kowalczyk has confirmed her participation in 30 km. After that what she has shown today I suppose he may fight for another medal. Bjoergen was said to win six medals, but finished sprint and 10 km with nothing, so I'm not sure if she wins 30 km. Kowalczyk prefers classic, but now she is very strong mentally after such a great victory, so everything is possible in my opinion. We will see.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:12 am

Big injury blow for Sweden. :( Henrik Zetterberg, captain of Sweden's men's Olympic ice hockey team and one of my favourite players ever, will miss the rest of the games in Sochi due to a back injury, the team announced on Friday

"He has major problems due a back injury and it's become so painful that he can participate," team doctor Björn Waldebäck told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

"There's no chance that he'll be able to practice or play a game during the time we're here."

Fellow Red Wings teammate Niklas Kronwall will take over as team captain, with assistant captain duties shifting to Daniel Alfredsson.

http://www.thelocal.se/20140214/zetterb ... -to-injury

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Dario Cologna won the men's 15 km classic race and is double Olympic champion in Sochi. =D> On the second and third place were two Swedes, Johan Olsson second and Daniel Richardsson third.

In the hockey tournament

Czech Republic 4-2 Latvia(Erat,Jagr,Voracek,Zidlicky M/ Sprukts,Vasiljevs)

Sweden 1-0 Switzerland(D.Alfredsson)
Not the best of games for Sweden,the injury of their captain and leader had a great impact on their play today.With this victory and with the probable one against Latvia, Sweden are in the QF and will have a one game bye.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:44 pm

In the women skeleton event Elizabeth Yarnold of Great Britain is the new Olympic champion.She was flawless and a pleasure to watch. The American Noelle Pikus-Pace was second and got the medal she has been looking for all her life. =D> :) The Russia Elena Nikitina got the bronze medal.If you didn't watch the skeleton competition,you've missed alot,spectacular and lots of beautiful girls. :)

Just minutes before Pikus-Pace's final run, she tweeted from the start house,
"My final goals for my last and final run of my career...see you at the bottom!"
Thank you for all,Noelle!

NewFan
Regular

Postby NewFan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 am

Any of our Balkan friends watching Slovenia's men's hockey team right now? I've got Finland-Sweden women streaming on my computer and Slovenia-Slovakia on my TV. Two excellent hockey games.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 pm

It's like a dream, but we have a third gold medal in Sochi! :D
Zbigniew Bródka won 1500 in speed skating. Amazing! =D> =D> =D>
And I hope it is not the end for tomorrow as ski jumping competition takes place at the evening. :)

Joana
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Joana » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Norwegian team spends almost a million euros on ski vaxing alone (I guess that's more than the entire Serbian budget for winter sports combined!), more than any other nation. Their ski vaxers have been preparing for Sochi in 4 years, more than any other nation.
The result? A series of disastrous races in cross country and biathlon, with Norwegian athletes looking unusually slow on their skis. It all culminated today in the women's cross country relay where Norwegians, the overwhelming favourites (so much that their coach said the only way for them not to win a medal is that somone breaks a leg) and a team that hadn't lost a single race since 2009 finished on a measly 5th place.
The whole country is in uproar over this. Their sport leaders are calling it a scandal. I guess some heads will roll after Sochi.
Women's World Volleyball Championship
20.10.2018, Yokohama (JPN)
1. Serbia 2. Italy 3. China
The history is made. Thank you, girls!

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:00 pm

1,2,3,...4!!!
Kamil Stoch again and we have 4th gold medal. We take everything or nothing. :lol:
I'm also very glad with silver for veteran Noriaki Kasai. =D>
We have more gold medals than in London 2012. Totally crazy. :-" :lol:
What a day...

@Joana, I agree with you. This start is a disaster for such country like Norway.

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:40 pm

karel wrote:
zorasourit wrote: (I suppose she is going to retire, isn't she?)

I'm not sure she is going to retire after this season. She is 31, so in Pyongchang she will be only 35... ;) BTW - when she retires, we will probably look like Czech Rep. after Neumanova retiring. There are not mnay talented young Polish cross-country skiers on the horizon...
Kowalczyk has confirmed her participation in 30 km. After that what she has shown today I suppose he may fight for another medal. Bjoergen was said to win six medals, but finished sprint and 10 km with nothing, so I'm not sure if she wins 30 km. Kowalczyk prefers classic, but now she is very strong mentally after such a great victory, so everything is possible in my opinion. We will see.

If Norway keep up their vaxing form which is an epic fail already, Justyna could actually win that one. A showdown between her and Kalla would be pretty realistic (jesus, what a mess of a relay today, poor Finns, I was so sorry for them - otherwise I was thrilled that ski vaxing was not everything and the Germans ended up on 3rd spot with superb skis but mediocre runners).

I feel honestly sorry for the Norwegian XC skiers and biathletes. They are great and gifted athletes but are left standing in the rain. As if the technicians didn't prepare for this sort of thing-looking-like-snow.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 pm

zorasourit wrote: A showdown between her and Kalla would be pretty realistic (jesus, what a mess of a relay today, poor Finns, I was so sorry for them - otherwise I was thrilled that ski vaxing was not everything and the Germans ended up on 3rd spot with superb skis but mediocre runners).

What a beautiful race the relay event was. =D> Charlotte Kalla started with a 25 seconds deficit,but believed in her chance and got the gold in the end.Norway a big,big disappointment.

Another great event was the United States- Russia hockey game ended with a shootout where T.J. Oshie scored 4 of 6 to get the victory for the stars and stripes.

He even got his own T-shirt :D

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Very, very convincing display by the Swedish relay today as well. France caused a sensation with the bronze medal while I wonder how happy the Putin / Medvedev tandem was over the Russian silver. :roll:

Men's biathlon mass start has been postponed to Monday morning due to heavy fog. Actually, nothing new, the fog was a major issue in quite a few world cup races this season.

On the other hand: finally, a biathlon race at daylight :)
Last edited by zorasourit on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heavenly
Handball Fan-atic

Postby heavenly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:11 pm

zorasourit wrote:Very, very convincing display by the Swedish relay today as well. France caused a sensation with the silver medal while I wonder how happy the Putin / Medvedev tandem was over the Russian bronze. :roll:

France got the Bronze, Russia finished at the 2nd place. Terrible deception for Norway
again (only 4th) !

But the Norwegians had a big consolation today: Jansrud became Olympic Champion of
the Super-G !

And nobody said that Anna Fenninger won the Gold medal yesterday after a very difficult
Women Super-G. Congrats Anna !

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:24 pm

heavenly wrote:
zorasourit wrote:Very, very convincing display by the Swedish relay today as well. France caused a sensation with the silver medal while I wonder how happy the Putin / Medvedev tandem was over the Russian bronze. :roll:

France got the Bronze, Russia finished at the 2nd place. Terrible deception for Norway
again (only 4th) !

But the Norwegians had a big consolation today: Jansrud became Olympic Champion of
the Super-G !

And nobody said that Anna Fenninger won the Gold medal yesterday after a very difficult
Women Super-G. Congrats Anna !

Thanks a lot, corrected.

The women's super G was a farce and should be treated as such. Nothing against Anna, I just don't care.

heavenly
Handball Fan-atic

Postby heavenly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 am

German Maria Hoefl-Riech could win the Gold medal if she didn't make a
stupid mistake in an easy section of the race. She finally got Silver.

Austrian coach traced a difficult and technical Super-G and I liked
that. All the favorites finished the race, only Dominique Gisin didn't !
We had a good podium for the Women Super-G: Fenninger, Hoefl-Riech and
Hosp.

So where is the farce or scandal @Zorasourit ?

Before every Alpine Skiing event, there is a draw to determine which
national coach will trace the race. You already know that ! Or do you
want to abolish this old rule ?

You know what ? It was the French coach who traced the Men Super-G.
But the first French concurrent Thėaux finished only at the 11th place !
I can tell you that Morisod wasn't happy with the performance of his men !

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am

Men hockey tournament

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 pm

In the two-man bobsled Russia 1(Alexey VOEVODA, Alexander ZUBKOV) got the gold followed by Switzerland 1(Alex BAUMANN,Beat HEFTI) and United States 1(Steven HOLCOMB,Steven LANGTON).

Tomorrow the women event we can see two usuals of the summer Olympics:Lauryn WILLIAMS,Olympic champion in relay and 3 times world champion, and Lolo Jones,two times indoor hurdles champion and once mixed team world champion in skeleton.I hope this time Lolo,one of my favourite athletes,will get the medal she was looking for all her life. [-o<

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm

What a finish today in men's 15km mass start. :D
Norway's Emil Hegle Svendsen beat French double gold medallist Martin Fourcade on the line to clinch gold in the men's 15km biathlon mass start.Ondrej Moravec of the Czech Republic won bronze.

In one picture: The Gold and Silver Medal Jumps in the Mens Aerials

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Great article today in the Romanian press about some of the winter Olympics heroes. :)

Canadian Jan Hudec with seven knee injuries got the bronze in Super-G tied with Bode Miller.

Shiva Keshawan the Indian luge racer

Noriaki Kasai with his first Olympic medal at 41.Image

Prince Prince Hubertus of Hohenlohe,the Mexican skier,pop singer known as Andy Himalaya or Royal Disaster and his mariachi suit. :)

Vanessa Vanakorn knows as Vanessa Mae and her Olympic experience

Alexei Voevoda,gold medalist in Sochi in two men bobsled,3 times World Champion in armwrestling
and his brutal training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkawy7SfMZ4#t=124
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfp3wEjr1x0

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Canada 1(Kaillie Humphries,Heather Moyse)won the gold in women bobsleigh.USA got both silver and bronze with
Elana Meyers,Lauryn Williams and Aja Evans,Jamie Greubel.

In the men hockey tournament

Sweden-Slovenia 5-0
Finland-Russia 3-1
Canada-Latvia 2-1
USA-Czech Republic 5-2

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Heather Moyse the gold medal winner in women bobsled is also a very good rugby player,she's part of Canada's rugby 7 and rugby 15 teams. :) She's been to two World Cups by now.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:51 am

Unfortunately no surprises in male hockey tournament. Dissapointed preformance by Czech Rep., Slovakia and especially Russia - their defeat in 1/4 is a real disaster for this country. OG take place in Sochi and they won't get any medal.
In the semis we have two classics: Sweden-Finland and USA-Canada. I bet on USA-Sweden final.

Return to “Off Topic”