Foreign languages

Anything But Handball Here
vande
Regular

Foreign languages

Postby vande » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:31 pm

...continued from the "Where is everybody from" topic...

Well Ikastfan, you can't expect me to get everything right in Danish :)

Ikastfan wrote:That was Norweigan, Vande :P
What am I saying, you caught me red-handed :oops: But I keep hearing that it is quite the same when written, although it is harder for a Norvegian to understand spoken Danish. And that Swedish falls somewhere there too.

(As a side note, I still don't know whether Danish, Norvegian and Swedish are to each other as Croatian, Bosnian and Serbian or rather as Serbian, Macedonian and Bulgarian :) )

ozi
Very Important Member

Postby ozi » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:35 pm

i think it is like serbian, Macedonian and bulgarian. by the way cool avatar vande. my favourite caracter in history. after him it is all boring for me.(in history i mean :D )

tga82
Men's WC 2013 Fantasy game winner

Postby tga82 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:34 pm

Well, what you wrote would be perfectly understandable written in any of the three countries. Spoken also if you got the right pronounciation.

It's like this with the three languages: (to a dane)

Norweigan
Written - Very easy to understand, almost like reading danish
Spoken - Fairly easy to understand, but you have to concentrate a bit. But there are also some variation in the dialects in different places of Norway - some of them can be quite difficult to understand.

Swedish
Written - Fairly easy to understand, not as easy as norweigan - I understand maybe 95% of the words in swedish text - usually enough to get the point
Spoken - To me, quite hard. If you live in Copenhagen it's easier cause so many swedes come there (there is a bridge connection Copenhagen - Malmö) and they have all this swedish TV. But I live in the opposite end of the country. I can usually understand it, but I really, really, really have to concentrate if I want to understand more than just a few words now and then.

All three languages are in the same language family(called the German languages) as German, English, Dutch, Islandic and Faroe Island(ish? whatever)... so there are some similarities..... just like there are with the slavic languages.

btw. I thought that avatar was a she - it looks like long hair :?

RADE
Extra Member

Postby RADE » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:00 pm

it is long hair,but not SHE :P :lol:
could you guess?

tga82

Postby tga82 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:04 pm

Is it Caesar? :?

Goran

Postby Goran » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:23 pm

Its ALEXANDER THE GREAT from Macedonia or as we call him ALexander from Macedonia

tga82

Postby tga82 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:44 pm

Ah, I see... that was a little hard to see on that picture but I know who he is.

Is it a from a coin? I can hardly recognise our own Queen on our coins so don't take it personally :P It just looked like he had laurels around his head like Ceasar :)

vande
Regular

Postby vande » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:13 am

I don't really know where it came from; I just did an image search and then ripped it off the net :)

There will be a surprise for the avatar (tonight if I am stubborn enough).

<edit> Ah, done. 8) </edit>

ozi
Very Important Member

Postby ozi » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:46 am

I LIKED THE FIRST ONE MORE IF IT IS OK FOR ME TO SAY THAT. AS I SAID HE IS MY FAVOURITE HISTORICAL PERSON. REALLY IMPRESIVE!

Krimfan
Very Important Member

Postby Krimfan » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:16 am

I speak bad english, bad serbo-croatian, and the worst german even i have been learning it 8 years :? I understand 10% Macedonian or maybe 15 or is it 20 ? but understand 95% serbo/cro..
KRIM 2000/01 & 2002/03 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS
CELJE 2003/04 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS

ozi
Very Important Member

Postby ozi » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:49 am

from what i see in your posts krimfan your serbo-croatian is just fine. i understand 95% of english and Macedonian. 60% of slovenian and italian and spanish maybe 50% of russian eventhough i had been learning it for 8 years. we here have a rai so i spend a lot of time watching italian shows so i learnt a bit. Macedonian and slovenian come just naturaly to me(maybe because my language is something between those two languages). english i have been learning since 4th grade. and spanish i'm trying to learn now.

taki

Postby taki » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:41 am

I understand 95% English
I understand 95% Serbian
I understand 70% Greek
I understand 2% Slovenian :)
I understand 50% Bulgarian
Trying to learn Albanian at the moment!!!!!

ozi
Very Important Member

Postby ozi » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:41 pm

wow i would like to learn greek. albanian maybe i should learn but i don't like how it sounds. same goes for russian. i just can not stand the way it sounds

taki

Postby taki » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:24 pm

Ozi, Albanian sucks. I mean it is very, very difficult. And i thought that Greek was difficult :D . I was wrong. And it sounds a bit rough. But i think that it is practical to know it. And I don'mind any foreign language. I had my doubt weather or not to start learning Spanish or Albanian, and .... I will definetly need Albanian more than i would need Spanish.

ozi
Very Important Member

Postby ozi » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:53 pm

i agree that we here will have more use knowing albanian but i just can't picture myself doing those things with my toungh in order to speak properly. spanish is more poetic and nicer to spek. well is albanian that hard. did you know the fact that albanians are actualy the people who learn english faster than any other nation(i mean generaly). some guy from our university said this statistc(and no he is not albanian :D )

vande
Regular

Postby vande » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:07 pm

Si jeni Taki :)

You have some textbooks (hard or digital copy)? I checked one time in Tabernakul and they had a book, but way too expensive, considering my priority on the subject.

Goran

Postby Goran » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:27 pm

vande wrote:Si jeni Taki :)

You have some textbooks (hard or digital copy)? I checked one time in Tabernakul and they had a book, but way too expensive, considering my priority on the subject.

You should have asked for books while you were in MK or even better ask one of the albanians in Germany to teach you

Naasi se ili sto se

euskadi commander
Kometal Fan

Postby euskadi commander » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:05 am

So, from the Slavic languages our understandable area are Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia and Bulgaria. (without Slovenia)

Personaly, I understand Serbian 90%, but I don't think I can speak it
Bulgarian 80% also not speakable
English 80% I speak it, but off coure with mistakes
Albanian (when I read I understand 50%, but when I listen only 15%)
Danish - Tak :lol: :wink:
I hope to learn more sooner or later cause that's part of my proffesion 8)

vande
Regular

Postby vande » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:13 am

Goran wrote:You should have asked for books while you were in MK or even better ask one of the albanians in Germany to teach you.
You mean like this? http://tinyurl.com/tnod (site in Macedonian)

goce wrote: Albanian (when I read I understand 50%, but when I listen only 15%)
Now, now, you have been holding back on this info. You should then get a cool @ shkupi . net address :P

euskadi commander
Kometal Fan

Postby euskadi commander » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:25 am

Well, you know how we say: it's the language of the future :lol:
Infortunately, I have stopped learning, because of the faculty obligations. maybe I will find a time to continue :lol:

Goran

Postby Goran » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:35 am

goce wrote:Well, you know how we say: it's the language of the future :lol:
Infortunately, I have stopped learning, because of the faculty obligations. maybe I will find time to continue :lol:

well, dont give that much attention to the Albanian language. After all there are just 18% Albanians in Macedonia and since we are trying to integrate in Europe the Albanian language will be losing its importance even more!

Its cool to speak as many languages as possible but I think Spanish and German should be learned, I mean beside English.
No offence to people speaking other languages, those are good to learn too but if it is your proffesion.

Does anyone of you speak French? I think that the french language have lost its importance during the years, even it is spoken in lots of countries

tga82

Postby tga82 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:00 am

I know French :P

Voulez vous coucher avec moi, ce soir? :oops:

Goran

Postby Goran » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:05 pm

Ikastfan wrote:I know French :P

Voulez vous coucher avec moi, ce soir? :oops:

:lol:
Last edited by Goran on Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tga82

Postby tga82 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:42 pm

Don't take it personally :P

SilentOne
Extra Member

Postby SilentOne » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:54 pm

Ok let me see :roll:

From German I understand almost everything and I speak it fluently.

But, am I the only one here who speaks Italian?

Oh, and since I'm writing all this, I suppose I can speak and write english too
:wink:

Return to “Off Topic”