Have Hypo played in the hungarian league?

Talking about FEMALE handball in the World
Extra Member

Have Hypo played in the hungarian league?

Postby 123123 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:25 am

I have a faint memory, that for many years ago, Hypo participated in the Hungarian league. ((Since Hypo are so superior in Austria, I believe the austrian league typically doesn't include Hypo until a winner of the league is found, then the winner of the league (Neustadt(?)) gets to play two matches against Hypo for austrian league championship and CL qualification))
Is it correct Hypo have participated in the hungarian league?
If it is, when was it and how well did they do? How did the hungarian league end those seasons?

[I have tried to check on the internet, without much luck, have only found the Hungarian league table from 97/98-today without any mentioning of Hypo].

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Have Hypo played in the hungarian league?

Postby zorasourit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 am

123123 wrote:I have a faint memory, that for many years ago, Hypo participated in the Hungarian league. ((Since Hypo are so superior in Austria, I believe the austrian league typically doesn't include Hypo until a winner of the league is found, then the winner of the league (Neustadt(?)) gets to play two matches against Hypo for austrian league championship and CL qualification))
Is it correct Hypo have participated in the hungarian league?
If it is, when was it and how well did they do? How did the hungarian league end those seasons?

[I have tried to check on the internet, without much luck, have only found the Hungarian league table from 97/98-today without any mentioning of Hypo].

Hypo indeed played in the Hungarian League, I guess it was the season 2002/2003 but would need to double check it. I am not sure that Hypo's results were included into the rankings.

It was with very mixed feeling, Hypo being a highly disliked team in Hungary back then and now as well. They didn't take all matches seriously but if I remember well, there was a scandal at a Vasas game, where Spiridon and Shynkarenko climbed into the ranks to have a handclash with some Vasas supporters. 8:)

Thank goodness it remained a one time experiment.

Some of other Hungarians fans will add a bit more content to this, I'm sure.

es1971
Regular

Postby es1971 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:49 pm

It was 2003/2004.

Extra Member

Postby 123123 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you, both of you!
I've found it under worldhandball.com tables (you may need to google the homepage to enter).

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:15 am

zorasourit wrote:Hypo indeed played in the Hungarian League, I guess it was the season 2002/2003

One year later, 2003-04.

I am not sure that Hypo's results were included into the rankings.

Unfortunately it was. I say "unfortunately" because Hypo obviuosly took some matches easy (the league matches of the weeks when they had CL matches as well) while fought hard in some other ones and created some irrealistic results this way.

They didn't take all matches seriously

Right. But it wouldn't have been a problem if those matches had not been included to the league ranking.

I remember well, there was a scandal at a Vasas game, where Spiridon and Shynkarenko climbed into the ranks to have a handclash with some Vasas supporters. 8:)

Yes, those two players climbed onto spectatorial area (in Fáy utca hall it is about 1.5m above the playcourt level and there are some fences there) and punched some Vasas fans. It was the last step for not to call Hypo the next year again.

It was a good opportunity for Prokop since the league was incomplete that year, having only 11 participants so Hypo matches could have been put to the calendar easily. The Austrian team tried to sign for the Hungarian League next year as well but there was a solid rejection on the Hungarian side.
In conclusion, I declare that EHF must be destroyed

Return to “Female Handball”