WCh Serbia 2013 - Eight-finals

Postby Wbk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:28 am

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Re: WCh Serbia 2013 - Eight-finals

Postby Mr. 007 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:06 am

Sunday, 15 December:
France vs. Japan 18:00
Denmark vs. Montenegro 20:45 -Denmark have lost 2 matches in a row, and are clearly not up for the task against Montenegro. However, Montenegro really struggled against Netherland that lacked stamina in the end, and got a fortunate victory. Denmark can be much better than Netherland, so the Danes have still their destiny in their own hands if they just can believe in it :)
Germany vs. Angola 17:30
Poland vs. Romania 20:15 -Poland have really improved a lot over time, and now they are better than ever! Not so impressed by Romania, but I think it will be a close match :)

Monday, 16 December:
Brazil vs. Netherlands 18:00 -It's time for Brazil to get a medal. They really deserve it :)
Korea vs. Serbia 20:45 -wide open...
Hungary vs. Spain 17:30 -Spain is serious business, and Hungary obviously not, so Hungary will get slaughted. Just turn off the TV if you support Hungary...it will hurt a lot...
Norway vs. Czech Republic 20:15 -well, we have the best GK's in the world, so what can go wrong? A lot actually...so let's hope they still performs way over average :)

John
:::Handball Expert:::

Postby John » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:27 am

Mr. 007 wrote:and got a fortunate victory.

No luck. After the horrible first half without Katarina and the right defence they couldn't do much.
But in the second half Katarina ripped their goal net, and the defence was flawless. 7 goals for NED, their backs were completely stopped.

Marco Aurelio
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Marco Aurelio » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:20 am

France vs. Japan 18:00 Obviously.
Denmark vs. Montenegro 20:45 The fan support will decide it. Denmarks only chance: if they get the twins.
Germany vs. Angola 17:30 Of course.
Poland vs. Romania 20:15 Very tight match.
Monday, 16 December:
Brazil vs. Netherlands 18:00 Easy.
Hungary vs. Spain 17:30 No predictions until I get to know Hajdu's changes in the roster.
Norway vs. Czech Republic 20:15 Slaughterhouse

+ Korea vs Serbia , Serbs don't like Asian kitchen

Hajas
Extra Member

Postby Hajas » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:38 am

France vs. Japan
Denmark vs. Montenegro (Come on Denmark, time to step up)
Germany vs. Angola
Poland vs. Romania (Poland is a nice surprise. Romania must play really well to beat them)
Monday, 16 December:
Brazil vs. Netherlands
Hungary vs. Spain
Norway vs. Czech Republic
Korea vs Serbia

I guess without Serbia and Montenegro through to QF who knows what their fans will throw on the handball-court ?

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 am

France vs. Japan I think the French are very happy to meet Japan and Romania/Poland on the way to the semis.

Denmark vs. Montenegro Sad for the Danish fans,another bad tournament for their team.Pytlick should be shown the door

Germany vs. Angola

Poland vs. Romania Don't know much about the Polish team,but they improved alot in recent years.I know some of the important players and looking at the roster ,they don't have many playing abroad.They aren't very tall and that can be an advantage for us.I'm not that impressed by the Polish team as the others because,in the group phase,they did what they had to do beat Angola and lost to Norway and Spain.Even if the two lost games were close at some point ,when you lose by 5 and 6,that's a clear defeat.I'm not underestimating Poland,but let's be onest and say they are probably the weakest 3rd placed team you can meet,so if we don't beat Poland we don't belong in the uper stages of this tournament.I'm kind of surprised that everyone thinks we will lose.I tell you we won't [-o< :D

Monday, 16 December:
Brazil vs. Netherlands Brazil has the quality to take a medal this year.Looking forward to see how will this sport evolve there.

Hungary vs. Spain Hard to predict.Spain has a much better gk and that can be a factor.If Navaroo has one of her great days,you're out.I think that the unusual style of play of the Spanish,can be anihilated by the Hungarians.So slight advantage for Spain,but it can go both ways.

Norway vs. Czech Republic Easy win.Czech Republic maybe the biggest disappointment of the tournament together with DK.

Korea vs Serbia The fans will make the difference.and maybe the refs :-$
Last edited by Des57 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anicia Juliana
Extra Member

Postby Anicia Juliana » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:06 am

France vs. Japan
Denmark vs. Montenegro
Germany vs. Angola
Poland vs. Romania

Brazil vs. Netherlands
Hungary vs. Spain
Korea vs Serbia

Mr. 007

Postby Mr. 007 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:09 am

Don't forget that Poland kicked Sweden out of WC too. And the Swedes really wanted to go to this WC... :)

It will be an exciting match indeed :)

nightmaar
Regular

Postby nightmaar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:12 am

Germany walk in the park
Montenegro with ease
Romania 4-8 goals difference - if anyone thinks that Poland stands a chance, not to talk about being favorite against Romania (somebody's been smoking funny things today) then I advise you to start watching cricket
France even if they play with 5 players for 30 minutes should be able to get past Japan

Hungary will step it up, Beograd is not as close as Novisad but they should have a decent support too, eventhough the game will be on Monday - Hungary after extra time
Brazil - two teams who like to play fast - Brazil way better in defense - much more strength too overall - Brazil to go through -
Norway 5 classes above the Czech girls - they should be able to rest the first starters in the second half, they surely think of the quarter against Serbia/Korea already
Serbia if Tomasevic can perform miracles against the Korean fastbreaks - cause there will be a lot of them - it should be a great game and it will only favor Norway...

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:12 am

Mr. 007 wrote:Don't forget that Poland kicked Sweden out of WC too. And the Swedes really wanted to go to this WC... :)

If you believe so much in the Polish team,let's make a bet.If they win.i'll change my avatar for one week with the Polish flag and with the signature Poland is the best.If Romania wins,you change you're signature with Romania is the best for one week.What do you say? :)

Mr. 007

Postby Mr. 007 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 am

Des57 wrote:
Mr. 007 wrote:Don't forget that Poland kicked Sweden out of WC too. And the Swedes really wanted to go to this WC... :)

If you believe so much in the Polish team,let's make a bet.If they win.i'll change my avatar for one week with the Polish flag and with the signature Poland is the best.If Romania wins,you change you're signature with Romania is the best for one week.What do you say? :)

Hehehe, well, I wouldn't bet on Poland ofc :)

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:23 am

Mr. 007 wrote:
Des57 wrote:

Hehehe, well, I wouldn't bet on Poland ofc :)

If someone wants to make the bet I'm here :) It would be much more fun to watch the game after :)I'm already looking through some photos with the Polish flag, to see what photo I'll chose :D

Silviu
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Silviu » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:42 am

^ Hehe, that's a risky bet. :D

France vs. Japan. A clear victory here.
Denmark vs. Montenegro. Normally Montenegro, but who knows?
Germany vs. Angola. Another clear one.
Poland vs. Romania. Romania, of course. :D

Brazil vs. Netherlands. No problems for do Nascimento & Co.
Hungary vs. Spain. I think Hungary can make it. Anyway, this will be veeery interesting.
Norway vs. Czech Republic. No comments needed here.
Korea vs Serbia. The hosts will win this one.

Bo$ko
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Bo$ko » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:45 am

Finally some excitement... =D>

France vs. Japan
Denmark vs. Montenegro
Germany vs. Angola
Poland vs. Romania

Brazil vs. Netherlands
Hungary vs. Spain
Korea vs Serbia

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:22 pm

nightmaar wrote:Romania 4-8 goals difference - if anyone thinks that Poland stands a chance, not to talk about being favorite against Romania (somebody's been smoking funny things today) then I advise you to start watching cricket

Deal! ;) But in case if Poland pass to the 1/4, can I advise you to start watching...handball? ;) :)

medicinalis
Regular

Postby medicinalis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:28 pm

15 December 2013
17:30 Germany v Angola Spens Sports Center, Novi Sad
15 December 2013
18:00 France v Japan Kombank Arena, Belgrade
15 December 2013
20:15 Poland v Romania Spens Sports Center, Novi Sad
15 December 2013
20:45 Denmark v Montenegro Kombank Arena, Belgrade
16 December 2013
17:30 Hungary v Spain Spens Sports Center, Novi Sad
16 December 2013
18:00 Brazil v Netherlands Kombank Arena, Belgrade
16 December 2013
20:15 Norway v Czech Republic Spens Sports Center, Novi Sad
16 December 2013
20:45 South Korea v Serbia Kombank Arena, Belgrade

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't know what to think about this pairing with Poland. This Romanian team is annoyingly inconsistent and obviously not all the players ar on a WCh level (yesterday, another proof of this, when from 19:7 we went to 20:16; 9:1 for the Czechs in a few minutes).
As Norwegians are counting on Lunde, I guess Romanians are counting a lot on Paula. The 2 of them, together with Leynaud are having a monster of a tournament and have been decisive when their teams were shaking, especially in attack.

I could argue that I only fear our team. Usually, whenever we play an opponent which is not better than us, a priori, we have trouble focusing and we get fast in other sorts of trouble. However another positive point during this WCh was our self-motivating capacity (never have I seen the Romanians so determined as they were especially in the 2 last matches), as well as a surprising capacity to climb back in matches despite the errors they've made. Overall, we seem to be on the right track for the Rio Games and the challenge against Poland is one that we have to win.

About Poland, I've been watching them for quite a while and I've been a supporter of their attempts of getting back to the big competitions. They have the quality players and they have a resourceful coach, but there seem to be things that simply don't click yet:
- the match against Spain speaks for itself; they lost it in a moment when they had the momentum and they couldn't do jack to stop Spain from running away
- how in the name of good God could they lose against the Czech R. at home, one month ago?
On the other hand, they're capable of great matches, like the series against Montenegro or the ones against Russia and even Norway.

Overall, wide open match, in which the team which will know how to best use its strong points and get over the bad periods (and there will be, for both of them!) will win it. Either way, I will support the winner of this match through the rest of the competition.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Some thoughts about the other matches and other comments here:
- Brazil: they don't deserve any medal yet! They have to go out there and prove it, match after match. They could've won it well at home but they didn't. I agree however that the team is very impressive and they are semi final contenders (although a clash with Spain in the 1/4 might leave them in tears again)
- Netherlands: don't under-estimate their capacity of producing good results. Why shouldn't they surprise exactly Brazil?

- Hungary: this team has such a great capacity of getting up exactly when they seem to be at their lowest. And there's no better moment to do so than the knockout stages (damn, that Beijing Olympic 1/4 still hurts). If they pass Spain, they could very well end up in the semis.
- Spain: what a good team they've been so far! Their game has consistently improved over the past 2 competitions and they look more than just a butcher team which is clueless in attack. They responded extremely well to all the challenges up until now and they are favorites to win this.

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:54 pm

mikh wrote:Overall, wide open match, in which the team which will know how to best use its strong points and get over the bad periods (and there will be, for both of them!) will win it. Either way, I will support the winner of this match through the rest of the competition.

Considering France comes next,you'll probably have to support the winner only more game. :)
You know Poland much better than me,so I was very interested to see what you say about them and about our chances go pass in the next round.
It's becoming kind of annoying,to be onest, to see how many believe they can even be favourite against us.Yes,Poland has chances,but not in a million years they can't be favourite against us.
Of course,everyone is free to believe what they want.

nightmaar
Regular

Postby nightmaar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Wbk wrote:
nightmaar wrote:Romania 4-8 goals difference - if anyone thinks that Poland stands a chance, not to talk about being favorite against Romania (somebody's been smoking funny things today) then I advise you to start watching cricket

Deal! ;) But in case if Poland pass to the 1/4, can I advise you to start watching...handball? ;) :)

Dude, I'll walk barefooted from Bucharest to Warsaw if we'll lose against Poland, I am watching handball probably long before you could spell the sport , but that's not the point here. Again, if anyone here believes that a team like Poland has ANY CHANCE WHATSOEVER against this Romanian side in this moment, in Novisad, on Sunday with Tadici as a coach and half the team rested in the last match I don't even know why I'm reading this forum.

Contradictions are most of the time welcomed and constructive but please ... this isn't and cannot be a case of doubt , there are a few balanced games in the 1/8's but considering Romania having to struggle badly and even be the outsider against Poland is purely amateur and plain nonsense. But well, good luck with your hopes, everyone has the right to his own opinion.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:00 pm

nightmaar wrote:Dude, I'll walk barefooted from Bucharest to Warsaw if we'll lose against Poland, I am watching handball probably long before you could spell the sport , but that's not the point here. Again, if anyone here believes that a team like Poland has ANY CHANCE WHATSOEVER against this Romanian side in this moment, in Novisad, on Sunday with Tadici as a coach and half the team rested in the last match I don't even know why I'm reading this forum.

Contradictions are most of the time welcomed and constructive but please ... this isn't and cannot be a case of doubt , there are a few balanced games in the 1/8's but considering Romania having to struggle badly and even be the outsider against Poland is purely amateur and plain nonsense. But well, good luck with your hopes, everyone has the right to his own opinion.

Oh, dear, please! Take it easy, big guy, maybe you are right!

But maybe not ;)
Last edited by Wbk on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:53 pm

@Des57

I'm not even going to comment on some nightmarish observations around here, but... I didn't say Poland is a favorite. I said it's wide open; I also think that Romania has more to lose than Poland. I think our team is on a good performance curve right now, but like Tadici said: "we can win or lose against anyone".
Our team has struggled a lot in attack, while defense is far from being perfect (it is however getting better every game). Add to that we had sequences of play where we were awful on 1-1s (penalties, fast breaks, breakthroughs) and you'll understand why I think we can easily have a lot of trouble no matter who we play against.

Finally, why do you care so much about others' predictions? Some of them are not even predictions, they're just preferences and you can see this so clearly. I don't find it annoying, nor upsetting that we're not considered favorites. It's a status that suits very well this team, right now.

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:16 pm

In my opinion Romania are still favorites in the game against us, but we are not without chances and we may beat Romanian team. But we have to play not worse than yesterday. And maybe even better.

@mikh
You want to nknow why we lost against Czech Rep. at home last time? I don't now it either, althoug many days passed since that day...

Des57
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Des57 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 pm

mikh wrote:@Des57

I'm not even going to comment on some nightmarish observations around here, but... I didn't say Poland is a favorite. I said it's wide open; I also think that Romania has more to lose than Poland. I think our team is on a good performance curve right now, but like Tadici said: "we can win or lose against anyone".
Our team has struggled a lot in attack, while defense is far from being perfect (it is however getting better every game). Add to that we had sequences of play where we were awful on 1-1s (penalties, fast breaks, breakthroughs) and you'll understand why I think we can easily have a lot of trouble no matter who we play against.

Finally, why do you care so much about others' predictions? Some of them are not even predictions, they're just preferences and you can see this so clearly. I don't find it annoying, nor upsetting that we're not considered favorites. It's a status that suits very well this team, right now.

The part with Poland as favourites wasn't about you.I understand what you say and there are alot of games in which we are not the favs,but this time we are.I don't like to underestimate other teams,but I also hate to underestime ourselves.If Poland beats us,that should be a big surprise,not a kind a "normal" result acording to some.I have the feeling that we are underestimated alot.Even if this team is not on the level of other Ro NT,a hate to see that all our wins to good teams are for some surprising.About the predictions ,it's starts to be funny or annoying depending on what mood I'm in :) to see that acording to some we should have lost almost all the games from this tournament. :)

nightmaar
Regular

Postby nightmaar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:47 pm

mikh wrote:
I'm not even going to comment on some nightmarish observations around here, but...

Well don't :) If you mention it while trying to be sarcastic you're just mik (that's small in English) - that left aside :

28% GK saves against Spain, 30% against Norway , the only teams that really mattered in Group C, you think that's going to be enough against Romania ?
This time the team is quite balanced, ok ,there's no left handed right back but somehow Tadici managed to come up with a good variation of offensive plays to make up for that. The defense represents a good part in the team's success and it's no wonder that we scored most of the goals (percentage wise) from fast breaks, I don't even remember a previous tournament when that happened. Sure, not all the girls are made to be first starters but they do help and bring in diversity to our offense, to be honest I've never seen Romania play better with 2 line players , even though we once had probably the best couple (Galca - Stanca + Manea).

There's a good vibe around the team, a good mix of experience and youth, but most of all a fantastic motivation, self confidence and power to come back in games after being led. Of course there's a lot more to work on but if the girls pull themselves together when shooting from the 7m line and Paula keeps on being majestic we'll be able to give France and hopefully Norway after that some good battles. The win against Hungary planted some good seeds and lifted their spirit. Poland is not a bad team, better than the Czechs but does not have the value, the cohesion, the experience , nor the crowd behind to finish on top in these type of games, under all the mentioned circumstances.

Oh, and Tadici is not the type of coach to be overwhelmed and surprised in a knock out game v Poland, come on guys, you're not seeing the facts here, it's Romania's game to lose, we'll talk after the game, I really think people tend to forget that Romania is the only team in the world that managed to qualify to all the World Cup tournaments so far, that's not a coincidence, that's value, that's tradition, that, plus all the mentioned aspects and results make us favorite tomorrow and we're not going to lose, plain and simple :) Enjoy the game and see for yourselves.

Return to “Female Handball”