Foreign languages

Anything But Handball Here
TheDane
Handball Fan-atic

Postby TheDane » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:37 pm

Norwegian language: http://www.answers.com/topic/norwegian-language

Encyclopedia:
Norwegian language, member of the North Germanic, or Scandinavian, group of the Germanic subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages. It is spoken by about 4 million people in Norway and another million in the other Scandinavian countries and North America. Norwegian is a daughter language of Old Norse (see Germanic languages; Norse language). Today there are two official forms of Norwegian: bokmål [book language] and nynorsk [new Norwegian]. Bokmål, also called riksmål [national language] and Dano-Norwegian, was greatly influenced by Danish, which was the dominant language of officialdom when Norway was under Danish rule (1397–1814). The language of the cities, the official and professional classes, and literature, bokmål came to differ greatly from the Norwegian spoken by the common people. Since 1905, however, orthographical and grammatical reforms by the government have brought bokmål closer to the popular form of Norwegian. Nynorsk, also known as landsmål [country language], stems from the native Norwegian dialects that evolved from Old Norse (uninfluenced by Danish), and it is therefore very different from bokmål. Developed by Ivar Aasen, nynorsk was introduced by him in 1853 as part of a nationalistic desire to have a purely Norwegian language for the country. It is based on rural dialects and spoken principally in rural areas. Both bokmål and nynorsk are employed by the government, the schools, and the mass media, but bokmål is by far the more widely used of the two, especially in education and literature. Some efforts have been made to fuse the two forms of Norwegian into one common Norwegian tongue called samnorsk [common Norwegian], and there is hope that this can be accomplished. Norwegian grammar is fairly simple. The form of the noun is changed only to indicate possession and the plural, and personal inflection of the verb has been discarded. Like Swedish, Norwegian uses pitch accents, but to a lesser degree. The pitch accents give the language a musical quality and are sometimes employed to distinguish the meanings of homonyms. Norwegian employs the Roman alphabet, which was introduced in Norway in the 11th cent. and to which three characters, æ, ø, and å, have been added.
Bibliography

See K. G. Chapman, Icelandic-Norwegian Linguistic Relationships (1962); E. I. Haugen and K. G. Chapman, Spoken Norwegian (1964); E. I. Haugen, Language Conflict and Language Planning: The Case of Modern Norwegian (1966); R. Strandskogen, Norwegian Grammar (1987).

Britannica:
Norwegian language

North Germanic language of the West Scandinavian branch, spoken by some five million people in Norway and the U.S. Old Norwegian became a separate language by the end of the 12th century. Middle Norwegian became the tongue of most native speakers about the 15th century. Modern Norwegian has two rival forms. Dano-Norwegian (Bokmål, or Riksmål), the more popular, stems from written Danish used during the union of Denmark and Norway (1380–1814; see Kalmar Union). It is used in national newspapers and most literary works. New Norwegian (Nynorsk), based on western rural dialects, was created by Ivar Aasen (1813–96) in the mid-19th century to carry on the tradition of Old Norse. Both languages are used in government and education. Plans to unite them gradually in a common language, Samnorsk, were officially abandoned in 2002.

For more information on Norwegian language, visit Britannica.com.

Zolika
Rookie

Postby Zolika » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:07 pm

I speak English, French :?
and my language :arrow: Hungarian!
HAJRÁ FRADI!!!!

lokitobcn
Regular

Postby lokitobcn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Speak: italian :D, Spanish, Friulano
Understand: English, French

karel
Handball Fan-atic

Postby karel » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:24 pm

I speak: Polish of course, English, German (a little)
I understand: Czech, Slovak, Russian

Baltazar
Extra Member

Postby Baltazar » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:55 pm

I speak Macedonian
I speak Serbian, Montenegrian, Bosnian, Croatian :)
I speak English
Un petit peu France
I understand 60-70% Bulgarian
I like to learn Albanian, but i don't like to learn greek.

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm

Hi! My motherlanguage is Hungarian (that is supposedly similar to Finnish, but I don't understand any word, about 0,001% like pizza etc. :D ) and I speak English, German, Japanese in this order. Once I should start to study a slavic language (then I would be understood in five more countries). I don't want to hurt any nation, I find slavic languages very interesting, impressive and more useful nowadays. I like Polish as well, and my favourite countries are the Scandinaviens, it's not an easy decision what to choose. But now I have enough problem with Japanese :x at Business University, Budapest.

Neo
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Neo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:10 pm

Hey, Nobody speak Romanian ? :lol:
Heart and soul for CS Oltchim Valcea

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Postby Mr. 007 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:21 pm

Finally, what all Danes knew, but nobody understood :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VU ... re=related

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 am

Oh my God =)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
That was absolutely hilarious. I really hope the Danes here won't be upset, but that is absolutely hilarious. Anyway, I though Nederlands to be more difficult to understand.

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Postby Mr. 007 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 pm

mikh wrote:Oh my God =)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
That was absolutely hilarious. I really hope the Danes here won't be upset, but that is absolutely hilarious. Anyway, I though Nederlands to be more difficult to understand.

This one is cool too...Danes rather watch norwegian TV if they can choose :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eng5rJm9 ... re=related

greenice
Extra Member

Postby greenice » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Speak: English, French, Italian, little German
Understand: Spanish

I'd like to know some Hungarian (it seems to me almost an impossible language) and a nordic language...

Neo
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Neo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:14 pm

greenice wrote:Speak: English, French, Italian, little German
Understand: Spanish

I'd like to know some Hungarian (it seems to me almost an impossible language) and a nordic language...

not at all, that was also my first impression but after i started to learn it, it's not so difficult

i'm still learning :D :p
Heart and soul for CS Oltchim Valcea

zorasourit
Handball Fan-atic

Postby zorasourit » Tue May 20, 2008 4:16 pm

mikh wrote:Oh my God =)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hihihi... I have so much more difficulties to understand Danish than Dutch, although I speak only Danish but almost nothing in Dutch ;)

Once I manage to learn Danish, I'll try to learn...

Basque!

haandboldspiller
Extra Member

Postby haandboldspiller » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Oh my God =)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am not upset but I don't really understand this video or what the meaning of it is. Is it because you don't know the danish language or because you don't think danes understand each other?
(maybe I'm just a stupid dane)

fmj
Extra Member

Postby fmj » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:12 am

Danish is very easy to read for us norwegians (almost identical), harder to understand when you talk. For us it sounds like you have something stuck in your throat all the time. These comedians from Norway has taken it a bit over the top, personally I think it's very funny.

Have a lot of dialects in Norway, it's some big differences between the regions. Northern parts are famous for having a more colorful (the people in the south thinks we use a lot of curse words all the time) language. I'm from Northern Norway and to some extent it's true, but we are not going around saying k**f all the time, if you understand.

Obviously I speak norwegian fluently. Other than that I can understand and make myself understood in: Swedish, Danish, English.

When I read German I can make out most of the text, but if I listen to it, it's much harder. If I travel to Germany I could probably get by without any problems, but I can by no means talk it properly. My dictionary in German is quite limited.

Would really like to learn more languages, but I'm to lazy and I don't pick them up so easily. I envy the people that have the gift to learn them almost without trying.

mester
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mester » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:50 am

Speak:
hungarian
slovak and czech but it´s the same mostly...
my english is awfull :?
no problem to understand german sport language but not speaking...
learning spanish

omak
Extra Member

Postby omak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:51 pm

Speak: Macedonian (my native :D), English, Spanish, Slovenian, Serbian Croatian
Understand: 60-70% Bulgarian

Bace cacko
Rookie

Re: Foreign languages

Postby Bace cacko » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:01 pm

I speak Macedonian (as mother language) and have extremelly high skills in German and English as well.
But then I as well can understand a lot Bulgarian, Serbian, Montenegrian, Croatian and Bosnian (since they are very similar to Macedonian), and also a quite much of Spanish and Russian (which both I am learning at the moment).

Malik
Rookie

Postby Malik » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Arabic my mother language
French fluently
English fluently
Italian 66 %
i have been learning Deutsch for almost 3 years and still do not understand this language ](*,)
that's all

RukometSRB

Postby RukometSRB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 pm

I speak Serbo-Croatian, and by that all of its current separate languages. I can understand almost everything in Macedonian and Slovenian, speak English, can understand 50% of Spanish and French.

madu
Extra Member

Postby madu » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 pm

I speak Roumanian, English and Spanish very well... German well and French a little, and I can understand some Italian

gergő
Handball Fan-atic

Postby gergő » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxUm-2x-2dM

simon pegg is my f*cking hero :!: :)

zotya94
Regular

Postby zotya94 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:50 pm

I speak Hungarian and English fluently, English is not my mother language actually but managed to achieve academic level. I also speak French and Latin. Would like to learn Arabic and well Greek or Russian.

Corbantis
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Corbantis » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 am

My mother tongue is Hungarian, I dominate English and Spanish. I have studied Catalan, German as well. I understand Neo-Latin languages in general thanks to Spanish (French, Italian, Portuguese or Romanian). For the same reason, I'd like to know at least one Slavic language like Polish or Slovak. :) Because of German, all Nordic languages sound to me like some kind of German Speech disorder.

barry.romania
Handball Fan-atic

Postby barry.romania » Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am

your father is Spanish, Corbantis?

Return to “Off Topic”