General Questions About Handball

Talking about MALE handball in the World
HballFieldwork
Rookie

General Questions About Handball

Postby HballFieldwork » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Hello Handball Players!

My name is Jennifer. I am doing a school fieldworking project on handball players. I was hoping I would be able to converse with some of you online about handball.

I would appreciate if some would be willing to answer any or all of the following questions, or offer any information you think I should know about handball.

General:
What do you think is the most interesting part of handball?
Can you explain any "insider terms" you think I should know?
Is there any current major matches that are broadcasted on television/online that may be viewed?

If you currently play handball:
1. Why did you decide to begin playing handball?
2. How often do you currently play handball?
3. How did you find your team? If you formed your own team, how did you find players?

If you do not currently play handball:
1. Why do you participate on this website if you do not play?
2. Have you ever played handball or are you planning on playing in the future?
3. What characteristics do you think defines handball players as a group?

I hope none of these questions are offensive in any way. Having input from handball players first hand will really help my report.
Thank you in advanced.

Sincerely,
Jennifer :D

Sarah
Regular

Re: General Questions About Handball

Postby Sarah » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Based on you questions I assume you are American. 99% of the users in the forum are probably from europe, and it is a bit different here.

I am from Denmark e.g. and even small citiyes here have a handball team, i do not think it can be compared to anything in the US, mabye american football where you have minor leagues as well i think. As there are handball leagues for all here down to the lowest level and old boys/Girls leagues, kids leagues etc.

Anyway here goes as well as I can.
General

I love handball because it is so fast and I am better trowing the kicking a ball :-)

I am not good at tearms

There are tons of games online weekly, look at the female part of this forum.

1. My best friend played when we were kids
2. one pratice and one game a week
3. Always played for my local team

Good luck

HballFieldwork
Rookie

Thank you Sarah

Postby HballFieldwork » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. You're right- I am American! Haha. Thank you for making that comparision to American football for me. It definitely helped the way I will approach learning about handball. I know that we have several unoffical groups who play here on outdoor courts in America, which is how I first learned about handball and decided I wanted to know more about it. Are your courts indoor or outdoor or both? Thank you for enlightening me on how the sport is much more popular in Europe than America. I appreciate you for sharing why you personally like handball.

Best,
Jennifer

TinaLP
Rookie

Postby TinaLP » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi Jennifer

Welcome to the amazing world of handball

I believe that the most exiting part of handball is that it is so fast, within a few minuts a game can change from a sure win to a surprise victory for the underdog of the game. The game is also very much psysical, and a team might play on their psysical advantage to win the game.

In Denmark, where i'm from, we mostly play indoors, primarily because of the bad weather - handball is a winther sport! Sometimes in the spring we play a summer tournament for one of the smaller federations, and here some of the games can be played outside, if the weather lets us. The biggest difference in playing inside or outside are that it is very difficult to dribble the ball and that makes the game much more about teamplay.
An other difference is that you can't use much paste outdoors, and that can be difficult for an adult player to play without.

1. I began playing because my mother and big brother played. All my friends from school also started at the same time, around 5-6 years old.

2.Right now i play in a lower series with a lot of girls at my own age (30), we train once a week and play one match in the weekend.

3. The team i play on right now i've played on last season also. I chose the team because the club was the closest to my home, and because the other players were the same age as me. I used the club website and Facebook when i was looking for a new team. Before i startet playing one this team i tried to put together a team on Facebook, but at my age, some women are taking a "baby or husband break" from handball, and therefor we couldn't get enough people to join. It can be hard when you have small children to play a teamsport, where you train at the same time every week, a lot of women use the fitnesscenter instead, because you can decide yourself when to train.

I hope this helps you, good luck on your project

/Tina

HballFieldwork
Rookie

Postby HballFieldwork » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:14 am

Hi Tina,

Thank you for giving me such a personal, detailed response. Your information will certainly help me with my project, so I truly appreciate your time in responding.

I wish you and your team the best of luck this upcoming season!

Best,
Jennifer

william
Regular

Postby william » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi Jennifer,

I hope you still read this, since its already a month ago since the last reply. I you want to know why handball is attractive to a lot of Europeans you should understand how we Germans look at it in comparision with Basketball. in Germany Handball is still teamsport number 2 after soccer. And this is also the case in Scandinvia, while on the Balkan Basketball is probably more popular. It has lot to do with tradition of course. I read a survey that only 5 percent of the us population knows what team handball is. There is no media coverage. On the other hand Germanx (I am German) know basketball of course. but it never really took off even though it is much easier to organize. you can play it on the streets with 3 against 3 and the court is much smaller. What I (an i guess thats also an opinion of other Germans) don't like are the numerous interuptions especially for the free throws. Handball is a very fast sport and also very physical. It can be quite rough and it is definitely not a healthy sport for the knees and shoulders. I like handball because you can really fight for 60 minutes. You have a lot of physical contact and at the end you are really exausted. And the best ist that at the end of 60 minutes there is normally a good hand shake with the opponents. I guess thats the same in basketball but in handball it is striking because during the game the opponents attack each other quite hard.

Fedral144
Rookie

Postby Fedral144 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I've been thinking about why the handball has so small attendance numbers compared to other sports. I know that there are not so much money that are in the handball as a sport, and that is not so advertised like some other sports and that there are not campaigns for popularizing but still

You can easily check out our high quality 646-365 - testking which prepares you well forN10-005 - braindumps - questions testking. You can also get success in realciis.edu exam with the quality hodges and selftestengine.

Return to “Male Handball”