WCh 2019 - Germany & Denmark

Talking about MALE handball in the World
aletem
Regular

Re: WCh 2019 - Germany & Denmark

Postby aletem » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 pm

vlad_impaler wrote:
aletem wrote:Well done lovely Macedonians!!! But shame on you, should've been double digits... [-X Anyway, thankfully Gatelis and Mazeika won't be the refs again and giving stupid balls to the Romanians in the return leg. Hoping we can beat them away with 8 goals too. 8:)
And Kire is amazing! He doesn't age!

In the Balkans you are pathetic, in fact the two Lithuanian crooks helped you big by giving you at least 30%. EHF should take a look, is there any handball in Lithuania?

The fans in Macedonia are only whistleling lik 25 years ago plus they are not satisfied with anything.

The Lithuanians didn't help us at all. The moment Manaskov stole that ball and was whistled as foul and then when he got a suspension for nothing, made me laugh. :lol: And that wasn't all. These were the same refs that helped Barca against Vardar 2 years ago.
Did you honestly believe that Romania stood a chance in Skopje? :lol: Your team has no goalkeepers. Our second choice goalkeeper is one of the best ones, if not the best one, in the Romanian championship.

kleber
Handball Fan-atic

Postby kleber » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Russia qualified. :)
Portugal is in the euro 2008,finaly!!!!!

vlad_impaler
Handball Fan-atic

Postby vlad_impaler » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Congrat, Russia and Macedonia! Shame on Hungary for losing on home field against Slovenia B.

Xavi Pascual resigned from the Romanian NT. Good decision! We need a coach only for the national team, although he is world class (Barcelona).

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Iceland won a very dramatic and hard-fought second leg against Lithuania to qualify.
As expected, LTU are good. I didn't think they are that good. Malasinskas had a great match, same for the LP and the GK. Beratonis was also good. I didn't see Truchanovicius play in the final 15 mins.

Xavi Pasqual resigned before the return match with Macedonia. Romanian press claims that his new contract with Barcelona stated that he doesn't have any other engagement with a NT.
Pity. He did try to setup a system for the junior sector and to train the coaches, which is something that is badly needed in Romania! I hope that someone will build on the work he started.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:18 pm

aletem wrote:The Lithuanians didn't help us at all. The moment Manaskov stole that ball and was whistled as foul and then when he got a suspension for nothing, made me laugh. :lol: And that wasn't all. These were the same refs that helped Barca against Vardar 2 years ago.

So... with bad refs you win +8, but with good ones you lose -1 :D
Refs are a non-topic when it comes to this play-off match. They gave Macedonia the usual 5%, but nothing too obvious or too disturbing. The difference between the teams wasn't made by that.

aletem wrote:Did you honestly believe that Romania stood a chance in Skopje? :lol:

Well, yes. I think the gap between these 2 is smaller, although still in favour of Macedonia. I was definitely expecting a tighter play-off and I have good reason for that.

aletem wrote:Your team has no goalkeepers. Our second choice goalkeeper is one of the best ones, if not the best one, in the Romanian championship.

Nevertheless, if your interest in handball goes beyond Greece - Macedonia, you would know who Mihai Popescu is.
I'll let you read: http://www.eurohandball.com/article/30756

As for your Nikola, I don't know on what you base your ranking. And what exactly do you mean? Is he the best in a weak championship => what does this say about him? Or is he good because he plays in a strong championship, in which case, Romanians are stupid for offering the chance to improve to players eventually competing against him?

In any case, I can name you at least 3 other keepers which I evaluate as being better than him.

Congratulations to Macedonia and good luck at the WCh!

aletem
Regular

Postby aletem » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 am

We are in the World Cup!! Woohooo!!! \:D/

Pity that Slovenia is out. Yet Austria qualified, lol.

mikh wrote:
aletem wrote:The Lithuanians didn't help us at all. The moment Manaskov stole that ball and was whistled as foul and then when he got a suspension for nothing, made me laugh. :lol: And that wasn't all. These were the same refs that helped Barca against Vardar 2 years ago.

So... with bad refs you win +8, but with good ones you lose -1 :D
Refs are a non-topic when it comes to this play-off match. They gave Macedonia the usual 5%, but nothing too obvious or too disturbing. The difference between the teams wasn't made by that.

aletem wrote:Did you honestly believe that Romania stood a chance in Skopje? :lol:

Well, yes. I think the gap between these 2 is smaller, although still in favour of Macedonia. I was definitely expecting a tighter play-off and I have good reason for that.

aletem wrote:Your team has no goalkeepers. Our second choice goalkeeper is one of the best ones, if not the best one, in the Romanian championship.

Nevertheless, if your interest in handball goes beyond Greece - Macedonia, you would know who Mihai Popescu is.
I'll let you read: http://www.eurohandball.com/article/30756

As for your Nikola, I don't know on what you base your ranking. And what exactly do you mean? Is he the best in a weak championship => what does this say about him? Or is he good because he plays in a strong championship, in which case, Romanians are stupid for offering the chance to improve to players eventually competing against him?

In any case, I can name you at least 3 other keepers which I evaluate as being better than him.

Congratulations to Macedonia and good luck at the WCh!

Well, we sucked today and played like it didn't matter. I am actually disappointed, because it should have been a victory with at least +5.
And no, the difference between the teams is on the same level as the difference between our female teams.
I get people are frustrated that they have to lose against Macedonia (a poor small country), but that's that. Romania was lucky to have Pasqual to even achieve that in my honest opinion. Also, the last five games in Skopje have all been 5 goals or over victories for Macedonia (one against Czech Republic with 33:20 last June that I was glad to attend live 8:) ). There was no chance Romania could do anything in Skopje.

I actually follow handball since 1997, so I am very familiar with what's happening in that sport beyond my sense of patriotism in that upcoming double. 8:) I am well aware that Romania did well thanks to Pasqual. They weren't even present in the qualifiers for the 2016 (eliminated by Finland?) or last with nill points in the 2014 campaign. I do think Romania has a lot of path to walk and the difference is there. Perhaps they would've stood more chance against Belarus in a play-off match or Czech Republic, but I kind of doubt it. At least they have a solid women's team.

Nikola Mitrevski was also a goalkeeper in Metalurg (as was Mirkulovski) when Metalurg was a top8 team in Europe and was also man of the match against Barcelona when Metalurg won 31:28 at home and giving them their only defeat in the group 3 or 4 seasons ago. Later he went to keep in Benfica, so he is a really good goalkeeper that wants to be #1 in this team where he plays. Also, he had a stellar display on the previous Euro Championship, which does make him a pretty good goalkeeper. But also, there is Ristovski too who was a keeper for Barcelona and previously for Rhein Neckar Lowen, so no words necessary for that. :p

Scheersberg

Postby Scheersberg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 am

For Holland the game was already over almost before it really started, 7-1 and HT 14-7 for Sweden, GK Mikael Appelgren frustrated the Dutch shooters. Final result 26-20, a more or less normal result.
Sweden playing for 4.360 spectators, in Holland there were 900 spectators. So 1961 remains the on and only tournament (WC-EC) Holland managed to qualify for. Let 's hope EC 2020 will be possible to qualify!

Kay Smits scored 9 times, next season he will play for TTH Holstebro. His sister Inger also plays for TTH Holstebro. The other brother Jorn played for Randers HH but will play next season for Emsdetten, second Bundesliga.

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm a bit surprised Czech Republic lost the second leg so badly, I thought they would be a dark horse again, but life goes on. At least Russia came back on major tournament :) Result of Slovenia - Hungary was pretty irrelevant to me, as whoever lose it, will probably get a wild card, but I see the things changed much. Really Japan? I know they're 2020 Olympics hosts, but what is the point of bringing them instead of someone from Top 3-8 of last WCh? Anyway, it's better option than us (some people in Poland really thought we would get a invitation after flushing down prequalifiactions :lol:).

I hope for nice game tonight, between Portugal and Serbia. Plavi's advantage is good, but you can't be sure of anything in handball + our executioners are playing on their ground now.

vlad_impaler
Handball Fan-atic

Postby vlad_impaler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Romania doesn't have a coach, since Xavi Pascual is also training Barcelona. That's why he resigned, 2 reasons: 1. Barcelona bosses don't want anymore to train also a national team 2. Xavi felt he cannot handle both club and NT.

Romania should bring another elite coach, but only for the national team. This is what president Alex Dedu should change!

Regarding the squad, on 9-meter it's great (Simicu - St Raphael, Racotea - Veszprem from 2019, Ramba ex-Lemgo, Fenici - best Romanian player in the league, Csepreghi ex-France now, Grigoras - Hungary (great RB), Sadoveac - France, Humet ex-Portland San Antonio & Asobal, plus Criciotoiu ex-Bundesliga and others aren't even convoked.

Popescu also top goalie in France, Ghionea and more.

But yet again our MVP Simicu with Fenici our regular playmaker didn't play because of injuries. Current Fenici is better than current Csepreghi.

We should find another trainer only for Romania, the chances are high with the group with France, Portugal and Lithuania.

Some would say Macedonian players play for Vardar and Metalurg, but Metalurg was at Dinamo's level moreover our players now many play abroad. And the Romanian league is good for Georgievski (who scored us some goals) and others.

Scheersberg

Postby Scheersberg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:42 pm

matt_ wrote: Result of Slovenia - Hungary was pretty irrelevant to me, as whoever lose it, will probably get a wild card, but I see the things changed much. Really Japan? I know they're 2020 Olympics hosts, but what is the point of bringing them instead of someone from Top 3-8 of last WCh? Anyway, it's better option than us (some people in Poland really thought we would get a invitation after flushing down prequalifiactions :lol:).

Good question who will receive the wildcard. It will be "the best loser" of this PO. Question is accoording to which criteria. Recent EC/WC results and "tradition and history" will count. So your assumption seems very likely.

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Scheersberg wrote:Good question who will receive the wildcard. It will be "the best loser" of this PO. Question is accoording to which criteria. Recent EC/WC results and "tradition and history" will count. So your assumption seems very likely.

You misunderstood my post :) Wild card is already allocated, Japan got it.

Scheersberg

Postby Scheersberg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:45 pm

matt_ wrote:You misunderstood my post :) Wild card is already allocated, Japan got it.

Yes indeed 8:) .
In accordance with the current IHF Competition Regulations, the 2019 Men’s World Championship compulsory place of the continent of Oceania is awarded as a wild card by the IHF Council, as no Oceania team ranked 5th or higher at the 2018 Asian Men's Championship. The IHF Council has now decided to award the wild card to the national team of Japan.

http://www.ihf.info/en-us/mediacentre/n ... px?ID=5650

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:07 pm

aletem wrote:Well, we sucked today and played like it didn't matter. I am actually disappointed, because it should have been a victory with at least +5.
And no, the difference between the teams is on the same level as the difference between our female teams.

Then again, a result stands. Romania even lead by +4 so I don't know how can you say a +5 for MKD would've been more suitable.
I beg to differ with your assessment of the difference as well. Romania W would easily put 40 over Macedonia W, whereas Romania M finished only -7 behind and could've easily done less.

aletem wrote:I get people are frustrated that they have to lose against Macedonia (a poor small country), but that's that.

Don't make this kind of assumptions. Everyone in Romania was very respectful of Macedonia even in our stupid sports press. Nobody saw us as favourites. It was just an opponent we stood more chances against than we would've against Norway, Iceland, Croatia, Slovenia.
Any comment about "small" or "poor" is your own take and hence your problem. That's not the way Romanians see Macedonia and certainly not the way we see your handball.

aletem wrote:I actually follow handball since 1997, so I am very familiar with what's happening in that sport beyond my sense of patriotism in that upcoming double.

So it's impossible you missed Popescu's great season in the EHF Cup, where he was the best GK of the Final 4. Or the fact that he was the best foreign GK in France and selected in the All Star game over there. So, he's not really a NO-goalkeeper, like you claimed.
As for the patriotism, sure... but too much of anything can be harmful.

aletem wrote:I am well aware that Romania did well thanks to Pasqual. They weren't even present in the qualifiers for the 2016 (eliminated by Finland?) or last with nill points in the 2014 campaign.

Well, as much as I like Pasqual, I think he chose the bad tactic for this one. I genuinely think he expected too much from a group of players with whom he couldn't implement a system, due to lack of time. I am particularly unhappy with his defensive choice. That defense was clearly unsuitable for our players, but he insisted. That's what opened the way for a lot of very easy Macedonian goals. I think a more classical and compact defense (which our players have done before) would've been better and would've kept the first match tighter. This is why I am saying this playoff could've been different.

About those 2 campaigns you mention, that's where the team was back then. No sense in comparing. A lot of players have changed. There were also some internal things happening at the time.

But you are right about one thing: Romania has a lot of road to cover. 20 years of negligence cannot be repaired by a great coach in 2 years. I think the group of players we have right now is actually pretty gifted (hell, I saw some awesome young 9m shooters in our team and we have a few more in the NL). The problem is systemic and relates to how these players are formed and by who (youth coaches) and finally who do they keep working with in their senior years.

aletem
Regular

Postby aletem » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 am

Congrats Serbia!! Making the cut without so many players (tho there is more chemistry now and more movement) is a pretty good thing. This time only 3 ex-yus at a major tournament.

@mikh
You thought you would stand more chance against Macedonia than Iceland? :shock: :shock: It's not really 2001-2, but 2018 (Iceland struggles quite a lot.. 2 years ago against Portugal, being the best 3rd placed qualifier for Euro 2018 and now against Lithuania).. I stand with what I said in terms of comparison that the male and female teams are equally reversed. You may see a potential, as much as I would see potential in the Mk girls team (that doesn't mean the Macedonian female team doesn't suck - they do). I honestly expected a two easy victories (for the second one is all our fault for not even bothering to play).
In midst of everything you are forgetting that the Macedonian male team is playing really good in front of our loyal audience that is probably the most vocal out of all and can really create an atmosphere. Also, the other thing is chemistry and having leaders in the team. Lazarov is a leader, so is Mirkulovski after that. Romanian team doesn't have that. The only thing that Macedonia doesn't have is a dominating winning spirit (like Denmark has). Also they are afraid of major success (this is why they kinda flopped down in the second part at the EURO, or against Slovenia in that round of 16 game in 2015, or the match against Tunisia and even Hungary for OG qualification).
I haven't followed where Popescu plays, but he had a weak display in the first match. Maybe I will see that when Romania will face France in the qualifiers for the Euro 2020. ;)

As far as the wild card goes, I am glad that it is not a European team (although this year Germany wasn't in the play-offs :lol: ). Australia should take part in the World Cup, even if they are a filler (so is Saudi Arabia at the World Cup in football...). Japan most likely got it to serve them as an experience prior to the Olympic Games

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 am

@aletem

Sure, for the simple reason we simply don't fare well vs. Scandianvian teams. Their style is simply something we cannot handle right now. So it's not about absolute value, but also about how some teams match other teams. And our only qualifications in the past 8 years have come at the hands of Montenegro and Russia. And our other very good matches vs. Poland, Serbia, Austria or (to a certain extent) Belarus.
Say what you want, but despite being on a downward slope, Iceland still displays a beautiful fast-paced brand of handball. Their issue at the moment is the change in generations, but they'll probably do it well.

As for the comparison of the Macedonia W and Romania M, they're just absurd and I will not insist on that. You assess our handball based on these 2 matches and some flops a few years ago (when the political situation at FRH was also quite tight, resulting in players boycotts), but you discard for example a decent campaign only last year, where 1 goal vs. Serbia would've brought us to Euro 2018. When is the last time Macedonia W have beaten teams that actually matter in women's handball? No, scratch that... when did they even play a close match? So, what are we talking about here?

In midst of everything, I didn't forget Macedonia is playing good in front of their home crowd (but that's a pressure we can deal with, since we have the same type of supporters) and I do agree with you that one of the differences on court was the strong leadership of the players you enumerated, as opposed to the lack of leadership in ours. But then again, this has nothing to do with handball skills, does it?

Well, Popescu plays for the team that played the EHF Cup Final 4 2 times in a row and this year played the final. And on both occasions he was the best goalie on court. But, since you're an experienced handball fan, you will know that the defence Romania made couldn't have helped him shine in any way. He already played 2 good matches against Macedonia as it was. And the guy could easily fit any top handball club in the world right now.

As for watching us against France, sure... but I think the outcome will be more or less the same as that of a Macedonia-France game. So I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you. But we do have Portugal and Lithuania in the same group, which are teams much close to us than France. And even though LTU is currently displaying a very good form, these 2 are our contenders for the other 1 (possibly 2) qualifying positions.

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Last qualifying tournament for WCh has just started, it's Pan American Championship (this year held in Greenland). Two best teams from both groups advance to semifinals. Top 3 of competition will make it to the Germany & Denmark.

A - Chile, Argentina, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, Peru
B - Brazil, Uruguay, Greenland, Canada, Colombia, Paraguay

I would love to see host team at world stage again, but I guess level of handball in Americas improved since they qualified for the last time. Argentina is still strong, Chile improved. I'm surprised by USA's absence, as they wanted to go to the Olympics in 2024, but now it's a far goal if they even struggle with making it to continental championship.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:23 pm

And what a mess this PanAm turns out to be. Cuba didn't show up and nobody bother to tell anyone why. Seems it's a visa related problem. All their matches have been cancelled.
What's worse is that Cuba was one of the contenders for the semis and for those 3 WCh spots.
Seems PATHF has been suspended (we need a confirmation for this) so communication is lacking. The reason for this would be the dispute between the IHF and the PATHF over the splitting of the latter in 2 confederations: North and South. PATHF appealed the decision to the CAS. In the meantime IHF is taking over the organisation of the tournament in Greenland (whatever that means). Buuut, my question is: isn't this similar to the suspension of the Oceanian Handball Federation, which led to the exclusion of Australia from the WCh? In which case, being consistent with their judgement, IHF shouldn't allow the PanAm teams in the WCh, right?

There is a live stream of all matches on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eLyoAQwFW4

As for USA, they finished 5th out of 6 teams earlier in April, at the North American Championship, but they played some very close matches (including a dramatic draw with Mexico, after being +2 up in the last minute) and came close to qualifying. With Cuba not being able to travel, Mexico should've been the first reserve, but Cuba only forfeited yesterday.

Results from the NorCa 2018 tournament here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Nor. ... ampionship

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:57 am

As for those interested in the development of USA, here's an interesting podcast and series of links: http://teamhandballnews.com/2018/05/pod ... iscussion/

An analysis of the team's performance at NorCa, including individual player stats: http://teamhandballnews.com/2018/05/nor ... from-here/

And, more interesting, USA's key match against hosts Mexico: https://www.facebook.com/ComiteOlimpico ... 735161549/
Check out the last 2 mins :!:

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Argentina is the champion, Brazil was runner-up and Chile won third place play-off, so they all qualified for WCh. Unfortunately, Greenland is only fourth (they lost to Chile after extra time) :cry: Anyway, it's still their best result in Pan American Championship since 2006 (3rd place then).

Today is the day of draw :bball:
Pot 1 - France, Spain, Sweden, Denmark
Pot 2 - Croatia, Russia, Norway, Hungary
Pot 3 - Qatar, Germany, Austria, Macedonia
Pot 4 - Serbia, Tunisia, Iceland, Argentina
Pot 5 - Brazil, Egypt, Bahrain, Chile
Pot 6 - South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Angola, Japan

Of course we're talking about handball, so the draw won't be too much open :p
Draw procedure

In accordance with the IHF regulations, the Hosting Federations have decided to assign the teams of GER (Group A/Berlin), CRO (Group B/Munich), DEN (Group C/Herning) and SWE (Group D/Copenhagen). Therefore the draw procedure will be as follows:

1. Team of Germany is seeded to group A.
Team of Croatia is seeded to group B.
Team of Denmark is seeded to group C.
Team of Sweden is seeded to group D.
Moreover the IHF has decided to assign the team of KOR in Group A.

2. Remaining teams in pot 6 are drawn to groups B – D in row 6.
3. Teams in pot 5 are drawn to groups A – D in row 5.
4. Teams in pot 4 are drawn to groups A – D in row 4.
5. Remaining teams in pot 3 are drawn to groups B – D in row 3.
6. Remaining teams in pot 2 are drawn to groups A/C/D in row 2.
7. Remaining Teams in pot 1 are drawn to groups A/B.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:38 am

With all the draws these days, this one skipped us:

Group A: France, Russia, Germany, Serbia, Brazil, Korea
Group B: Spain, Croatia, Macedonia, Iceland, Bahrain, Japan
Group C: Denmark, Norway, Austria, Tunisia, Chile, Saudi Arabia
Group D: Sweden, Hungary, Qatar, Argentina, Egypt, Angola

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Worl ... ampionship

As you'll notice, IHF changed again the playing system, dropping the elimination tournament. Only the first 3 in each group qualify now for a MR. After that, there will be a final 4.
I suspect this is to insure that no surprises arise on the Road to Tokyo, since this tournament will determine 1 direct spot and many of the OQT allocations already.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 am

Finally, Greenland was really close to securing a spot in this tournament, but they lost the bronze final of the PanAm Championship vs. Chile in the ET. Greenland played quite an entertaining brand of Scandinavian-style handball in this tournament and I am sorry they missed the WCH spot. Them and Chile were clearly above the rest of the teams (excluding of course Brazil and Argentina). Hopefully Chile can repeat the good WCh they had 2 years ago and give some chills to Tunisia and Austria, and maybe this time win against Saudi Arabia.

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:47 pm

Looks like Germany and Denmark didn't find a way to make a good knockout bracket for both, so I'm not really surprised by this change. I think "round of 16" format will be used again in Egypt.

Group A & B looks nice, I'm looking forward for great clashes in first group stage already (especially France - Germany), but all matches should be gripping, as they will have a big influence on rest of tournament.

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:44 am

Indeed, and with the reduction of spots for the next round, the fight for the 3rd spot should be fierce in each group!
Group A is very very balanced (excepting France, but you never know) and can be even more if we see a good Korean team.

We should also have a benchmark on the Macedonia vs. Iceland situation, since we were discussing this just a few weeks ago over here. :)

kleber
Handball Fan-atic

Postby kleber » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 am

Being in pot 2 awful awful draw for Russia.

no chance of a semi final.

France,Spain,Germany. #-o,croatia .....best scenario play for a top 10 finnish and have to beaat serbia and macedonia for that,pathetic!

Group C and D are a joke.
Portugal is in the euro 2008,finaly!!!!!

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 am

Even with better draw, Russia reaching the semifinals would be a huge upset. Don't get me wrong, you have few good and experienced players, but generally squad is at most decent + you didn't achieve a Top 3-4 result since 2004 Olympics.

Anyway, I agree with you that groups are not balanced enough. I don't want to start conspiracy theories, but it looks like Denmark might have wanted to make their road to final round a bit easier, since they are more involved in hosting the tournament than Germany.

Return to “Male Handball”