Danish League 2018/19

Talking about FEMALE handball in the World
maz
Extra Member

Re: Danish League 2018/19

Postby maz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I haven't really formed my definitive opinion on the influx of money for Odense.

On one hand of course it's good to see great business decisions work out. It was a no-brainer for Odense to start constructing apartments when they have the people they have in their setup. There was really no chance it was going to fail, so they are now in a very good situation because they dared to do it and wanted to build something great with Odense Håndbold.

On the other hand I don't really care about Champions League. Never have and never will unless Aarhus participates. It's just not very interesting to me. I don't really know why. I'm much more of a national guy and watches all my handball within the Danish borders. So if Odense can compete in the Champions League, good for them but it doesn't really interest me. I just hope this doesn't have a huge effect on the competitiveness of the Danish League. I would much rather have an exciting league with several teams fighting for the championship and then no teams make it far in CL.

Good for Odense. Hope it doesn't effect the league too much. That's my opinion in short :p

Anol
Regular

Postby Anol » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:08 am

I agree with Maz here. 95% of the handball that I watch is the danish league, so a interesting league is all I care about.

But we do already know a little more. Apparently Odense isn't going on a spending spree, so my fears might have been premature. But I still think that this might prompt the other teams to increase their budgets, so i just hope they are gonna be responsible about it. I don't wanna see any more clubs going belly-up.

masch1
Handball Fan-atic

Postby masch1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Copenhagen is very fortunate with their league program around the Champions League matches: Aalborg, Skanderborg and next time Ringkøbing (no offense to those teams, but Copenhagen should be clear favorites).

So I'm wondering if the new league structure might actually turn out to be an advantage compared to the Danish teams that played CL in the previous seasons? Because they are now able to rest some players in between the CL matches, if they are lucky enough with their draw ofc. On the other hand there are more matches in total.

Anol
Regular

Postby Anol » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am

They are indeed lucky. Howerver I don't think we should rely on luck. If we wanna have our teams in ChL performing well we should structure their league games so that they have 4 or 5 days of rest between a league match and ChL match. When Esbjerg was in ChL I noticed that a lot of the teams we played didn't have a game on wednesday when they played Esbjerg on saturday.
No matter how you look at it that just gives you an advantage. It might be a challenge planning the league schedule, but I think it would be worth it.

masch1
Handball Fan-atic

Postby masch1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Anol wrote:They are indeed lucky. Howerver I don't think we should rely on luck. If we wanna have our teams in ChL performing well we should structure their league games so that they have 4 or 5 days of rest between a league match and ChL match. When Esbjerg was in ChL I noticed that a lot of the teams we played didn't have a game on wednesday when they played Esbjerg on saturday.
No matter how you look at it that just gives you an advantage. It might be a challenge planning the league schedule, but I think it would be worth it.

That would be a good idea. And yes ofc, it's not fair that it comes down to luck. But I hope it will still be a step forward from how it has been previously.

Anol
Regular

Postby Anol » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 am

It might not be possible to get that many days of rest after a ChL match but they should at least have the rest before the ChL

The biggest hurdle though is probably that the teams in the EHF cup should have that rest too and since we have alot of teams participating that could be a planning nightmare. Consider NFH, they played an away game sunday evening in Slovakia and are presumebly traveling home today. And they have a tough and very important game on wednesday. Not exactly ideal

Return to “Female Handball”